Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some input on putting some LED pods or light bar on my 86 350. Just wondering how many watts I can safely pull without hurting anything. I am currently running halogen bulbs besides main headlight is an LED. I will also be hooking up a winch, not sure if that is going to hurt anything power wise if running lights and winch at same time. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
The “safe draw” depends upon your stator and battery’s ability to offset your current draw.
Ok auxiliary lights are an accessory right? You have an accessory cicuit on your quad at the handlebar—rated at 10A, 15A?
Formula P=I E tells us the maximum wattage of the accessory should be less than the circuit current limit times the system voltage. 10A x 12V= 120 watts. Ok there’s a start for you.
i have a set of LED pods on my quad and have since planned to rewire them to accomodate an accessory spotlamp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonderful. I think I should be able to figure it our from here.....well maybe haha! As for the spot light, are you planning on using the aux outlet on handlebars for that?

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
nice on the spotlight... I'm still running the original headlights on my 300...added a light bar (combo flood/spot unit)..and originally was going to wire it into the accessory with a seperate switch on the handle bar... decided instead to wire it into the high-beams of the original light system...works great...running around in the evening with just the OEM headlights..but if it's really dark in the woods and I want to see what I'm working on, or wanting to scoot a bit quick to get home..then hit the hi-beam switch and daylight!!
circuit doesn't really seem to notice the load of the LEDs..love the new tech.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Yes you could wire a waterproof power cigarette light to the circuit and abandon the special plug. Take off the right inner fender to access the connectors—should be a bright pink and green subharness.
I wired a second special Honda plug to one and use it to power a tire pump, my navi and or phone—I configured that circuit with a Y connector so I could power my accessory lights off the same circuit
As a rule I don’t ride with that special spotlight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you could wire a waterproof power cigarette light to the circuit and abandon the special plug. Take off the right inner fender to access the connectors—should be a bright pink and green subharness.
I wired a second special Honda plug to one and use it to power a tire pump, my navi and or phone—I configured that circuit with a Y connector so I could power my accessory lights off the same circuit
View attachment 149563 As a rule I don’t ride with that special spotlight. View attachment 149562
Great. Going to dig in tonight and see what my options are. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just completed the LED install last night on my '91 TRX300 it was fairly slow process but, simple doing it after work. (2) led flood pods 18W ea. replaced OEM headlights (1) 7.5in Spot 36W between handle bar with a simple piece of aluminum angle and conduit clamps. ( low beam pods high beam spot/pods). just need to tidy up the wires...….there are several threads on how they were wired and mounted, I chose several different techniques then started gathering parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts