Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help! I bought a 125 fourtrax 1986 from a friend who has had it garaged for > 10 yrs. He can't find the key. I have an adly 40 or 80 (little, my 5 yr old rides it) the key works for the honda, but there is no key code on an adly key for copy. I had a copy made at locksmith and IT works in adly, but not honda. The locksmith told me to check on inside of fuel tank lid for a stamped code for the honda key, but I don't see one. Any other suggestions of where to look? If I were to sell the Honda, I don't want to give my Adly key away with it. I only paid $225 for yhe Honda, so I don't want to spend a lot for a new ignition as my local dealer suggested. Help, anyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick note for anyone who may be in the same boat as I was, I managed to easily "pop" the ignition out with a screwdriver and find the key code on the side. A 3 digit code that I gave my locksmith. He is going to run it against all his "masters" and see if he can cut me one. Thanks again to anyone who gave my problem some thought.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Let us know how the locksmith makes out. I have a different problem being only one factory key and have been wanting to get a spare. My local Honda dealer couldn't help because they didn't have any blanks from 1986 but if your locksmith cuts one that works then I'll try that too.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
My locksmith took my key code and pulled some numbers off of a card that came from his key cutting machine and cut me a key.

However, the key did not work the first time. He had to use a file to deepen the cuts in the key but it worked well after that.

All told, this was about a $25 key to get made.

Rick

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
when I first got into atvs the dealer could take the key code and cut a key from the code with a tool , looks like pliers , that punched out the grooves , they won't don't that any more around here -------- when I bought a XL250 and they could not find the key , I went to the local locksmith with the ignition off the bike , he took a blank , applied ink or what ever it was that he used which was blue , put the blank in the ignition and turned it , took it out and files it by hand , did that about three times and the key was made , took about 5 minutes , charged $10 to do the first key and $5 for the second one ---- but you need a real old school locksmith to do that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts