Honda ATV Forum banner

1985 TRX250 Utility Bolt Pattern

29K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  Canadianidiot 
#1 ·
I am trying to mount some itp delta steel wheels on the front and I am having trouble. Apparently my bolt pattern is 4/130 on this machine. The wheels I got are 4/110. I found an adapter, but the lug nuts are too short to go through the adapter to be secured.

I went with the same setup (or so I thought) as goldjohn in this thread and I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong. I don't see that itp offers the delta steel wheels in a 130mm bolt pattern.

Please check out this thread and see if you can figure out what he did to make it work. I would pm him, it shows he hasn't been online in months.

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...-executioners-my-86-fourtrax-250-a.html#close

I am almost done with this bike so I can go ride, but what I thought would be one of the easier things has turned out to be a nightmare.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Wish I had some pics but the bike is at work and I am now home.

Rims look factory to me. Drums have the two inspection holes. One says shoe inspection and the other says adjustment or something like that and they look factory too. Quite possible they got changed out over the past 30 years. Is there a factory 4/130 drum that would fit the front?

Bolt pattern is definitely 130mm. I measured it the way the pic shows with a caliper. I am stumped. Hopefully wiredrider can measure his to confirm. Maybe I should just get some front drums off eBay and hope they are 110mm

#15 ·
Same as mine, thx for checking. I can't be this hasn't been mentioned before on this site. In hours of searching the site, I saw posts saying 110 and posts saying 144, but never did I see anyone say they had a 130 bolt pattern. My own stupidity for ordering wheels based on the site info and not confirming myself.

No I am considering ordering drums off an 86 is someone could confirm they in fact changed to a 110 pattern on the front for that year. I've ordered enough wrong stuff for this round.

#17 ·
Yeah it's funny how they put the big ol' rims & tires on the back of both models. It does give them nice stances. Sort of old school muscle car like. LOL

BlackOut: check Partzilla as the hub part numbers should be different then from '85 to '86.

#19 ·
I looked it up for you , 85 TRX250A brake drums and rims only fits that year and model bike and no other , thats wild ------- the wheel bearing and seals are the same for the 86-87 and many other bikes , I would think you could use 86-87 drums and be ok ---------- are you close to New Orleans , I never did get into shipping ------ I have at least 2 86-87 TRX250A front ends complete , maybe more

#20 ·
Wish I was closer, would love to get those drums, check out all your atvs, see the trx250 to 300 rear conversion we discussed in another thread, etc., but I am way over in Dallas. I am looking on eBay for some, found a couple, but no good deals so far.

#21 ·
I know Houston is 5hrs. , what is Dallas 7hrs. ------------- this would have been a good weekend to do a field trip , French Quarter Festival , biggest free concert on the Planet , Strawberry Festival , Grand Prix Race tomorrow at NOLA Speedway , $25 or a case of Coors Lite for the 2 drums and I'll let you help drink them

#22 · (Edited)
I am new to the forums, but I just found this thread and it was mentioned that there were adapters but I can't find them. Can anyone post a link to the adapter's that go from 4/130 to 4/110? Bought a set of Honda recon rims lastnight and the front won't fit.

I also saw on another forum board that the front could be 4/144. I called Honda and they can't even give me a straight answer to this question.

Thanks,

#23 ·
What are you putting the wheels on? I found the adapters on eBay for a vw or something for like 60 bucks shipped. They wound up not working because my wheel studs are too short. I could have probably just gotten longer studs, but I bought some 86 drums that should have the correct 110 pattern (hopefully)

Those vw porsche adapters looked basically like atv ones. So they will work with the correct studs. Pm me if you want to buy them before I return them tomorrow

You can easily measure and determine the bolt pattern yourself. Just measure diagonally across from center to center. There is a pic posted on page one showing how.

#24 ·
All bad lately...

So nothing is going my way lately. I go to tighten up the rear wheels I bought. It is the correct 4/110 bolt pattern, but there is a lip on the hub that will not allow the wheel to sit flush. I can't leave it because I know it will loosen up with vibration and it is going to eat up studs. So upon further research, it seems that the rear hubs were also changed in 86 to a more forgiving "flat" design.

I am half tempted to take a grinder to these and grind the ring just inside of the studs flat, but I am not sure that will work. Thoughts?

Here is a pic of my hub, notice the raised ring inside the studs. This is hitting the back of the wheel keeping it from sitting flush.

Attachments

#32 ·
I would suggest doing what I did and get some eBay drums off an 86 or 87. That to me seems to be the path of least resistance. Hopefully there are no more surprises once I go to put the on. Be careful, some of the 85 drums on eBay are listed as 86-87 and they are not. There are some physical differences on the front that make it easy to tell once you know what to look for.

#30 ·
My buddy has an 85 250 that he was parting out and he sold the front tires to a guy with an 86 250. The guy came back and the wheels from his 86 had a different bolt pattern than the 85's. Another guy came for the axle to put in an 86 and the 85 axle was 2 inches shorter than his 86 axle. They must have done some changes between the years?

#31 ·
As far as the fronts are concerned, I got the first of my two eBay 1986 drums today and the bolt pattern is 110. Based on my experience as well as the info here, I am going to confirm that the 85 had 4/130 bolt pattern for the front and changed to 4/110 for 1986. Hopefully this will help someone before they go down the road I have taken to get here.

I did not get a chance to fit them, hopefully there are no other surprises awaiting me.

#34 ·
I took a tire off last night and I called the main Honda dealer out west. The Honda dealer can't tell me the bolt patter to any of their wheels because the spec list they have doesn't tell that information, but I did measure for myself and it is a 4/130 bolt pattern on the front. I have researched this for almost a week and the '85 TRX250 is the only model that had the 4/130 that year which is why the next year they switched back to the 4/110. Not saying I am perfectly right on my answer but from what I have researched that does go along with it.

If I keep it I will probably buy new hubs for the front to allow me to switch wheels. Let me know how the hubs switch out BlackOut.