Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Another pic of the double lip on the 85 backing plate. I don't have pics of the 86 backing plate, but will try to get some for reference.
@Black0ut Did you ever get the drum issue resolved? I have a 1985 barn find and would love to get it on 12 inch rims all around if I get it going, but can't find any 12 inch rims i 4/130 bolt pattern.

EDIT: found these, might be my easiest solution: https://www.adapterkings.com/product/4-lug-atv-to-4-lug-atv/
Id never even noticed the bolt pattern was different TT.. Bit of a pain as I planned on putting my wheels and tyres off my 300 onto the 250. I'm guessing this is just the front end?
Maybe have to make new wheel centres?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Another pic of the double lip on the 85 backing plate. I don't have pics of the 86 backing plate, but will try to get some for reference.
@Black0ut Did you ever get the drum issue resolved? I have a 1985 barn find and would love to get it on 12 inch rims all around if I get it going, but can't find any 12 inch rims i 4/130 bolt pattern.

EDIT: found these, might be my easiest solution: https://www.adapterkings.com/product/4-lug-atv-to-4-lug-atv/
Id never even noticed the bolt pattern was different TT.. Bit of a pain as I planned on putting my wheels and tyres off my 300 onto the 250. I'm guessing this is just the front end?
Yep, just the front on just the 1985 TRX 250 Utility. Every other full-size Honda ATV since then has used 4/110 front and rear. And looking at Blackouts prior posts, the drums aren't a direct swap either. Which is why I think the adapters I posted the link to are probably the best path moving forward, unless Blackout has other feedback.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts

Yep, just the front on just the 1985 TRX 250 Utility. Every other full-size Honda ATV since then has used 4/110 front and rear. And looking at Blackouts prior posts, the drums aren't a direct swap either. Which is why I think the adapters I posted the link to are probably the best path moving forward, unless Blackout has other feedback.
That would be the way, I agree. Then just run a larger offset wheel in the rear or a +1 spacer.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I first tried using adapters, but they just weren't working out to my liking. I wound up purchasing 86-87 250 backing plates and drums to swap out and everything worked great.

I also swapped out the rear hubs to the 86-87 design as well since the 85 rears have a raised lip, hub centric I believe is what you might call it and it interfered with my steel delta wheels fitting just right.

Hope this helps. I was beating myself up because before I stumbled on this issue, most other online resources list 4/110 which I didn't expect 4/130 when I ordered my wheels. (Didn't look at them closely)

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Hmm, I may have the later Hubs with 110 PCD, I'm sure the donor ATV I bought was an 86/87. I may be in luck here!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I first tried using adapters, but they just weren't working out to my liking. I wound up purchasing 86-87 250 backing plates and drums to swap out and everything worked great.
What were the issues you were having with the adapters?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
@SamUK I did some searching today and found quite a few options for tires for the 10" front rims. 23's should be quite a bit nicer than the stock 21's too. have always thought these 250's look too squatty in the front anyway. Was surprised by the number of options available. Not as handy as having 12" rims and a 4/110 bolt pattern, but should be fine moving forward. It's not like this old thing is going to burn through tires in the front. Maybe your donor 86 will work out well for you in this department. Going to put new wheels on all around?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I hadn't looked at tyres yet in all honesty. Because it will mostly be used on hard pack and at most through a few muddy puddles is considered putting my 300 wheels on and fitting a set of 50% worn 24" bearclaws that I have (23's for front)
They may be to big and raise the gearing to much but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't think 24's would cause unnecessary load to any of the transmission as the rear ended is super strong.
Of course, the above only applies if my 86 donor bike has the 110 front hubs, if it doesn't I'll probably stick with the stock rims and cut some turf tyres which are relatively cheap here in the U.K. And available in lots of sizes

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I hadn't looked at tyres yet in all honesty. Because it will mostly be used on hard pack and at most through a few muddy puddles is considered putting my 300 wheels on and fitting a set of 50% worn 24" bearclaws that I have (23's for front)
They may be to big and raise the gearing to much but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't think 24's would cause unnecessary load to any of the transmission as the rear ended is super strong.
Of course, the above only applies if my 86 donor bike has the 110 front hubs, if it doesn't I'll probably stick with the stock rims and cut some turf tyres which are relatively cheap here in the U.K. And available in lots of sizes
Well when/if you cross that bridge you'll be happy to find out that the 250's come stock with 25's on the rear. So if you end up putting the 24's from your 300 on it you'll be putting less load on your tranny. Which is why the old 250 I grew up riding always looked weird in my opinion. 25's on the rear and 21's on the front just makes for a goofy look.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Blimey!! Mine currently has 21" turf type tyres on the rear and some real old 18 or 19's on the front, no wonder it flies along with such small tyres!
Glad you mentioned the stock sizes though TT, should look just the job with 24's all round.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Blimey!! Mine currently has 21" turf type tyres on the rear and some real old 18 or 19's on the front, no wonder it flies along with such small tyres!
Glad you mentioned the stock sizes though TT, should look just the job with 24's all round.
You should post a pic of that...

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
You should post a pic of that...
There's pics in my thread '250 for MrsUK', it looks like a skateboard with fenders on those small tyres!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Guy says they should work. I'll be buying a set once we get things fired up this spring.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Circling back as I decided to convert the front hubs on ours to 4/110 afterall, but not in any way that others have done. I did NOT want to use the typical machined aluminum wheel spacer/adapters because that would have add 1.25" width to each hub, and I didn't want to add stress to the steering components and bearings on this old bike. But I also didn't want to bother with finding an old set of panels and drums off an 86/87 and deal with that, so I came up with something else and it went better than I thought it initially would.

1) I stumbled upon these wheel adapters: http://diamondjcustoms.com/wheel-conversions/universal/front-wheels-universal-conversion-kit.html What I liked about them was that they covered the range of going from 4/130 to 4/110. And I also like that they only added 1/4" of width to each side. Price is fair too, IMO.

2) I replaced the carriage bolts in the kit with M10-1.25 flange bolts. The primary problem with the carriage bolts in the kit is that they are coarse thread 3/8 bolts and I didn't want to use the flat bottom nuts that came in the kit. I wanted to stick with the M10 conical seat lug nuts because most 4/110 wheels that I want to be able to bolt up use those.

3) I got super lucky that the center bore of the adapter fit just barely over the center protrusion on the hub. Less than 0.050" is my guess so it almost became "hub-centric" with the adapter plate, especially since the plate bolted to the OEM lugs with the OEM flat-bottom nuts.

4) For the specific rims I chose to use (12" black OEM Yamaha Rhino rim I had going unused), I had to drill 4 holes through the rim over the 4/130 pattern just so it could clear the nuts that would bolt the plate to the drum. I did one with a 1" drill bit and one with a plasma cutter. If I have to do this again I will plasma cut both. Some rims come with holes that would clear the nuts as-is, but I didn't pick those rims. Then did some touch-up paint on the rims at the holes.

5) Bolt plate to wheel with OEM Yamaha center cap in between. It was actually really easy to center the plate to the wheel when tightening these bolts. Originally I was going to weld the 4/110 studs to the back side of the adapter plate, which is why you see the paint removed in the pic. I did re-paint that before assembling.

6) Bolt assembly to OEM lugs on the drum using OEM lugs nuts.

Pics are below. I forgot to take pics of each above described item, but it was really fast and straight forward. Now I can basically toss on any 4/110 wheel setup I have and this bike now matches all of the other ones in the fleet for front and rear bolt pattern. What you see for tires are 23-8-12 Titan (Carlisle) 489's on the front, and 25-10-12 stock Rhino Maxxis on the rear. 25's did not clear the front frame when turning, which I tried first.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to mount some itp delta steel wheels on the front and I am having trouble. Apparently my bolt pattern is 4/130 on this machine. The wheels I got are 4/110. I found an adapter, but the lug nuts are too short to go through the adapter to be secured.

I went with the same setup (or so I thought) as goldjohn in this thread and I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong. I don't see that itp offers the delta steel wheels in a 130mm bolt pattern.

Please check out this thread and see if you can figure out what he did to make it work. I would pm him, it shows he hasn't been online in months.

new 25 in executioners on my 86 fourtrax 250

I am almost done with this bike so I can go ride, but what I thought would be one of the easier things has turned out to be a nightmare.
My old TRX has the 4-130 bolt pattern also............

41 - 58 of 58 Posts