Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just picked up a 1984 trx200 yesterday. Had no plans of buying one but it was local and priced low. Only info was that it was a barn find and that the motor is stuck, as well as tires not holding air. Pictures made it look real solid for its age, most I've seen are pretty rough and far for complete. Made the 10 minute drive to see it. Its 100% complete, can tell it was cared for aside from being parked for however long it was.

Guy told me he attempted a few fixes for the stuck motor. He overfilled the crankcase which I'll drain and fill with the right amount most likely since it's far less common for the bottom end to lock up from sitting. He also said he was able to use some sort of dropper to put marvel mystery oil in the plug hole. Cant confirm how much and I dont want to overfill by adding more. Any ideas what else I can try aside from immediatly pulling the motor? I don't plan to really work on this one right away. I'm currently refreshing an 86 trx200sx so when that's done I'll move to this 84. It does shift through the gears and the hi/low/reverse selector works. Just wanted to get a jump on it with any simple things to try.

It is missing the key but i can see theres aftermarket ignitions on ebay fairly cheap. I'm picking up some rear wheels with old tires that hold air so I can swap them and get this thing somewhat rollable. Havnt found any front replacement yet. Couple of the wheels are rotting a bit so dont think they are salvageable. May just attempt to slime the fronts and see if they will hold air. Dont mind the mess it will make since the wheels are bad and tires are old.

But overall this is a real solid machine. Only one very small crack in the front left fender by the mud gaurd. Otherwise a quick buff and the plastics will be perfect. All decals in tact and nice shape. Some surface rust on the racks and front bumper but that's common. Seat is even really solid. Best part is it has the title! Guy didnt even tell me or may have forgot. It was in a bag that was in the tool box. Had the manuals, all the registrations from over the years. And the title was in an envelope in the bag. Does have a little water damage but it mostly there. I know I could part it out for a good bit with how many nice original parts it has. I only paid $500 for it. Guess I'll see what happens.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,303 Posts
with spark plug out, flywheel side, use a 17mm socket, and try turning the crank over that way. BE WARNED !!!!. if there is rust in the cylinder ????, by doing this you are subject to ruin the cylinder and rings !!!!. rust in cylinders that has sat for years is never a good thing to be grinding away on when turning engines over by hand or any other means !!!. bottom line: when dealing with a seized motor in this case, its ALWAYS good idea to pull the top end down, and go at it that way. if it has a bent valve ?, this will be the time to check it !.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man, don’t part that thing out. It is beautiful for a 36 year old machine. It would be worth fixing up and either keeping or re-selling. I would probably keep it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts