Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently picked up one if these toys for my first quad! I know this is a little older of a thread but hoping for a response. 84 TRX200 picked it up for $180. I bought it under the impression that all it needed to run was timing chains and tensioners. Well We will see when they arrive... Until then I am tinkering with many other things; the biggest one being the wiring mess. The more pictures I take the more of a nightmare it becomes for me. I am missing a cdi and a battery for the time being I have ordered a cdi and am borrowing a battery. If anyone on this thread still has a good condition of these would love some pics of the harness for good measure. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
You can probably find a copy of the service manual linked from here:

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-atv-schematics-manual-help/50817-service-manual-downloads.html

You can search powersportsnation.com and the fLeebay for used wiring harnesses and other used, obsolete parts.

As I advised in the other thread, china knockoff parts don't ever work on Honda ATVs, so unless you are very wealthy and wasteful, you'll need to buy OEM parts for your project bike, 100% of the time.

Have fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I come from Chinese motors, Baja, apollo, etc. However, my dad is an electrical engineer so we will have our hand at salvaging what we can with the harness.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
You may as well build your own (using new wire from spools) wiring harnesses from scratch then, cause those old wires are too corroded and trashed to repair/solder anything onto them.

You can buy waterproof connectors having 1/2/3/4/5/6 pin pairs (don't buy the ones with wire already attached to them, they're chintzy junk that the chinese lie about, only 26 gauge wires), in bulk:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=waterproof+connector+muyi&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

You can buy (various colors) spools of 16 gauge wire too...

BUT, its a whole lot cheaper and easier to plug existing electrical components into a good, used wiring harness than it is to cobble them together from scratch. I'm sure your dad will agree once he's had a good look at all of the parts that must plug into those harnesses... and remain clean, functional & weatherproof :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Been at work on the quad a lot today. New gaskets, fresh oil, retapped threads, new hardware and fastners. I even got the starter to spin the motor quickly enough for a compression test and made over 120 psi. Now I've been trying to get a bit of spark and having no luck; I do not have a key to the system so I I've bypassed the ignition switch and trying to make magic happen. If anyone has one of these/ atc would really appreciate some help. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
without the ignition switch/key ?, and the harness corrected ?, your just wasting time. you must have the ignition switch wired correctly, as well as all the wire harness. then you must have a neutral light on, then you must have a good c.d.i. , if any of these are not right ?, it wont fire the plug.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
and did you get the battery installed, hooked up ?.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes there is a battery in the system and a good cdi. I was able to make the reverse light illuminate but not the neurtral one. Kind of troubling. Also when I bought the bike I was handed a relay and what looks to be a 2-pin rectifier(?). I believe the relay is what I need to have in the system but still unsure.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
until you get the neutral light to come on ?, it will never fire the spark plug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update 3/26
Done a few things on the POS since my last post. Finally got the gasket surface cleaned up and new gaskets installed. Performed a compression test that came up at 125 psi thankfully. Used jumper cables from my truck to the starter to spin it lol (used fogging oil don't worry) and stripped the harness off of it and was surprised at how clean it actually was. (no pictures unfortunately) Put some disconnects and heat shrink on loose wires and have been having a lot of luck fortunately. I wasnt able to get the neutral light to illuminate because the bulb was burnt so after replacing that it lit right up. Starter circuit now operates as it should but still no spark. Plug is confirmed working, however no other parts of the ignition system are. The newest problem now is the ground circuit is carrying 12 volts and the headlight will not illuminate with the switch. The bulb is good and works if I hook it up straight to the battery but not the harness. As usual would appreciate some help :) thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
It sounds like you'll need to revisit your hacked up wiring harness issues and test the switches. Did you get a copy of the service manual yet? Wiring diagrams are in the back of it... they'll be useful for tracing circuits out. Switches tests are in there too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trying to diagnose a no spark situation...Have this what I believe to be a ground for something; not exactly sure but it has been nicknamed the virus ground because when I connect it to the circuit I can no longer push the start button to spin the engine and the relay clicks and my reverse light comes on not sure at all why this is happening. As usual would love some assistance, thanks retro ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes that is the reverse inhibitor and yes all 4 wires are present and matching

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
4 Participants
jaydenlewis15
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing