Honda ATV Forum banner

1984 TRX200 Exhaust options...ATC200 Possibly?

7K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Rurouni20xx 
#1 ·
So of all the things I need to fix on my old crusty monster, I think the exhaust is moving up the list. The gasket at the head is non-existent. The packing at the first exhaust clamp is out to lunch, which makes for a great calf warmer with all the hot exhaust leaking...and I am sure*if I got those leaks fixed I would discover the muffler isn't much better. All the heat shields are missing with bolts broke off in the mounting points where they should be. I have been looking at parts and pieces on eBay, and other than seals, I am looking at used OEM pieces. Well, I already have a 30 year old exhaust that was free, so I don't really want to pay for one. There aren't any aftermarket options I have found. Then the light bulb moment...what about the exhaust from a 1984ish ATC200? I can find exhausts on eBay that are listed for 1982-1984 atc200. Now this question is based off the possibly incorrect assumption that mechanically my rig is an ATC200 from the engine back. If that is correct, I could have a completley new exhaust for not much more than band-aiding my 30 year old exhaust up, and still possibly needing a muffler. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Rob

#2 ·
how does the exhuast mount on your trx200? the atc 200 muffler mounts inside the frame above the chain and brake carrier. assuming the frame is similar this should work, but if the exhaust on your trx is a side mounted exhaust (and cant mount in the frame because of the fender and battery placement) you may have to look into an exhaust from a different style trx. check muffler diagrams from various machines and how they mount, you may find something similar.

#4 ·
okay looking at pictures online the 82 atc200e and 84 trx200 are out of frame (mounted on the right side of the frame) exhausts. the trx200 has more of an atc185/atc200 chain driven header since the heads are that style. the atc185/atc200 chain driven motors have the exhaust mounted inside the frame under the seat. if for some miraculous reason the 82 atc200e exhaust fits you would be lucky since its the most similar design with the side mounted muffler. this is a real trick here since its technically a hybrid exhaust, you may have to bust out a welder for this one however.

#8 ·
So it interesting...the ATC200M uses the same header pipe as my TRX200. The muffler is a different part number. That is interesting. The ATC200E is the one that appears to share the same motor, trans, and shaft drive. The M is chain drive yet uses the same head pipe. It is interesting....

#9 ·
right well the chain drive motors are based on the 185/200 design. the 200 big red is a predecessor to the 250 big red and finally atc300/trx300 (stroked 250). the muffler is going to be the hard part here, it boils down to if you can find a side mounted muffler that fits that header.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.