Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 is not getting any spark. I found a broken wire at the key switch and replaced it. Now it will turn over but it isn't getting any spark. How do I go about testing the cdi box and the coil? I have a 1986 200sx that runs. Can I pull the parts off of it to test which one os the culprit? Or is there something else I need to check first?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
The TRX200 shares the same type simple AC-CDI ignition and shares many ignition parts with the ATC200 and other early '80s trikes. You can use Partzilla to view a parts interchange list for each component. Surprisingly, most ign.parts are still stocked and for sale. You can find a copy of the service manual HERE. You'll need a multimeter to check components as well.

Section 16 of the manual covers troubleshooting and testing of all ignition components, which you'll find can save you a lot of money vs guessing. Many times an ignition issue ends up being a dirty/damaged harness connector or a cobbled up wiring harness. Check all of your harness plugs, stator/pulse gen plug, ign. coil plugs, CDI plug etc to make sure each are clean, corrosion free and have no bent or pushed in pins, and replace any bad wiring harnesses before attempting to troubleshoot section 16.

Also check for a noise suppressor inside the spark plug boot, those can fail and cause the spark plug wire to burn up the conductor in the last 3/8" or so of its length. Sometimes you can cut off the burned end of the cable and twist it back onto the boot.

Have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I striped the wire harness down and checked all of the connections and found why my headlight would not work but no other bad wires. I ordered a new coil and cdi off of ebay the coil I hooked up to and still no spark. The cdi should be here tomorrow and I'll try that. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the four wheeler initially died a while back i found the connector plug for the red wire that connects the key switch to the main wire harness was what was broken. I replaced the connections but haven't had spark since

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Try this:
Make sure the trans is in neutral.

Disconnect the Black and the Green wires from the engine stop (kill) switch plug. Don't let either of them touch each other or touch a ground.

Disconnect the Black and the Green wires from the Ignition switch plug. Don't let either of them touch each other or touch a ground.

Take the spark plug out and connect it to the spark plug cable. Lay it on the head so it is grounded.

Turn the key on and crank the motor over using the starter, or crank it with the recoil while you look for spark at the spark plug.

If no spark, then check the stator with a multimeter. Also verify that the pulse generator has the correct gap. Check the pulse gen with a multimeter if still no spark. Let us know what you find...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the two fuses both look fine, I installed a new/used cdi that was supposedly off a running bike from eBay and still no spark. I tried disconnecting the green and black wires and still got nothing. I will try and get a multi meter in the next day or two and try seeing what I get for readings. Im not really sure how to use a multi meter or where to put the leads in the pulse gen or the stator

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Before you begin testing resistances of components, check the Pulse Generator gap with feeler gauges. It should be around .020" or so. See the first attached image for help lining it up and for the spec. Check the harness plug for the pulse gen if you haven't yet. Note: the area under the cover where you'll be checking the pulse gen gap should be clean and dry. If you find oil has been leaking inside there you'll need to replace the oil seal on the camshaft behind the pulse gen rotor. Please advise what you find and what the pulse gen gap is...

Also attached are images for the Ignition coil resistance tests, the Exciter coil resistance test and the Pulse generator resistance test. These three tests are all in section 16 of the service manual linked above. You'll need a decent quality multimeter to perform these tests, better than the cheapest china meter that you can find... Checking resistances is very easy. Let us know if you need help or have any questions... and please report your findings here so we can keep up with you... :)

Have fun,

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts