Honda ATV Forum banner

1984 200es wont start

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Killeratc 
#1 ·
Hi i got a 1984 200es i havent drove it for awhile i may have let it sit for about 2 weeks or longer it started up fine before i put it in the shed but on last thursday i went out to start it up to get everything moving around and it didnt want to start it will roll over and sometimes it will.start but lately it just floods it self fast and just keeps rolling over i did keep switching the spark plug i just bought a knew one and it started up so i thought maybe it was that but last night i went out to start it and it just rolls over and floods it self like it was does anyone have any idea whats going on

#4 ·
how old is the fuel in it? that too can be a problem if its a machine that sits often and takes a long time ti use up fuel(Ethanol fuel can go bad in a weeks, NOT months) if you use ethanol fuel and it does sit often, you really should be treating the fuel

also check your air filter too, this time of yr, mice like to fill them with winter food and can cause air issue's(same can be said with exhausts)
and a good carb cleaning sounds like you need as well!

#5 ·
The gas is maybe 3 weeks or little longer old and ut usually doesnt sit i broke my skid plate so im just waiting for that to come in and i did check the air breather that's all good and i replaced the carb last year and not once have i cleaned it since

#6 ·
well a yr with no carb cleaning doesn't mean carb is good, all it takes is a little dirt in the tank to get sucked into it, and can come from many ways, from dirt in the fuel stations tank and you got it that way, to dust, to, all sorts of ways
its a 33 yr old machine, so over that time frame if tank was never removed and cleaned out, there could be lots of crap in the tank and can dirty a carb that way too, fuel line age and that could also suck in a part of a old fuel line to plug up a jet
if your sure carb is GOOD< maybe your CDI is bad, they all go bad sooner or later?

#7 ·
I'd start by pulling the plug to see how bright of a spark you get... Ground it out on the heat sync or something and hit the start button..

If you've got a good spark, go to the carb..

Carb is very easy on these machines.. The idle needle screw is sensitive, go easy on it.. Try cleaning before replacing... resiliant parts in these bikes...

Get an OEM or premium rebuild kit or you'll be doing it again... Learned that lesson more than once..

My 84 200M has an untouched carb ... lol

I know the history of this machine from whom I bought it..

Seafoam just ran through it the other day..

#8 ·
Thank you to everyone that is helping im going to clean the carb i got the bike maybe 3/4 years ago i never replaced the fuel line and i never cleaned the gas tank i and im putting cheap gas that i get from my works pump in it so not the best gas

#9 ·
I just went out cause when i got home and i went to start the bike up and it fired right up then it just shut down i went to start it up again and it makes popping sounds like it wants to start up but one start i have lots of spark and it does sound like it wants to start but for some reason when start it doesnt want to stay running and after it dies it makes popping noise and sounds like it want to start up than it floods it self

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.