Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done way too much reading into this than I would like to admit. But, this is what I've got.

Just bought a 2015 Rubicon Foot Shift that I plan to use for trail riding, some hunting and work around my house. (plowing, pulling small trailer with yard waste etc...) When trail riding, I run into a little bit of everything; mud, sharp rocks, hard pack, loose climbs and so on. So buying a dedicated mud tire or hard pack tire or desert tire is not needed. I'm looking for the best all around type tire but am a bit lost.

On my SxS, I had Blackwater Evos. They did awesome for everything I did but I think they might be a little heavy for the rubi. Do any of you have recommendations for a tough all around tire that won't kill the power on my machine.

Ive looked into:
Zilla: okay for the rocky stuff?
MudLite: again, concerned with punctures
Mud Bug: too much of a mud tire?
Blackwater evo: too heavy?
Bear claw HTR: too heavy?

I am fine sticking with 26 inch tires or 27's if weight isn't too bad. My goal is to be able to handle most terrain well without causing undo stress on my machine.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got 26" tusk trilobites on my rincon and do about the same as you described. I like them for a good all around tire and are cheap.. I even like them better then bighorns lol.

I think you should stay to a 26 for most tires unless you go to a 27 mudbug or zilla. A mudbug is a good trail tire also and a couple members on here like them. But for work, I'm not sure how exactly they would work as you would be tearing up the ground but if that doesn't matter, I'm sure they would be just fine.

I'd stay away from a mudlite. No comments needed lol.

Bearclaw htr is another good all terrain tire. Haven't seen anything bad about them yet and would like a set myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I will dig a little further on the blackwater evos and the htr's.

Any ideas as to what the stock tire and rim combo weighs? Just curious as to how much I will be adding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never weighed mine, but I would guess 25lbs or so a piece on factory aluminum wheels...

Thank you. I think I'm making this too hard Lol... just need to make a decision. And without going beyond 26 inch tires, I doubt I will fee much of a power loss.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Mine on 30's actually still feels very peppy, just have to watch out for thick mud and any kind of hill lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the feeling of tire searches, many options out there and have enjoyed bighorn for years

I also used the bighorns on past machines and really liked them. They were my go-to tire just like the BFgoodrich all terrains for my trucks. I stepped out a bit with the blackwater evos and liked them better for the mushy stuff and appreciated their strength for hauling the weight of the Honda pioneer around. Now that I'm on an atv that is around 1100 lbs lighter, it's like starting all over with the decision process. I am really between the HTR and blackwaters now and it will probably come down to best deal or what is in stock. I don't think I can go wrong with either tire. Although it's a pain, having too many good choices is a good problem to have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been running Zillas on my old '95 TRX300FW for about three years now, and I'm very impressed with them in pretty much all aspects. Traction is great, they ride smoothly, lots and lots of flex (even at 6-7psi), they're very lightweight, and they're wearing significantly better than I expected. All of my riding is in central WV, primarily on logging trails (from so old you can barely see them, to just skidded) with a lot of rocks, mud, leaves, broken limbs and branches and downed trees. For as mud-oriented as Zillas look, they actually make very good all-around tires, and tend to not be too destructive if you're riding around in the front yard (vs my Executioners, which seem to have confused themselves as rototillers).

I was also going to pick up a set of Zillas for my '17 Rubicon, but decided to go with Kenda Executioners instead. Due to a quirk of online inventory management and shipping, I wound up with a full set of both 27" Zillas (27x11 and 27x9) and Executioners (27x12 and 27x10). The Executioners are definitely much heavier than the Zillas (as well as being taller), but so far I haven't had any problems spinning them. Even long hauls up very steep power lines with 200-300 pounds of corn on the back and 270kbs of me on the seat, the Rubicon isn't bothered at all in high range (although I don't do the "bury the fourwheeler to the handlebars in mud" stuff, so I can't comment on that aspect). I didn't think to get a weight before I sent them back, but the Zillas felt very close to the same weight as the stock tires - I would think no less than 2-3lbs per tire heavier. Executioners are something like...34lbs for 27x12s, I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts