Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be missing something here, but I wonder if someone can explain #4 below. This is from Ezine Articles website. Here is the link:

15 Interesting Facts About ATVs

15 Interesting Facts About ATVs
By Tom Tomlinson

Article Word Count: 307 [View Summary] Comments (0)

1. Off road vehicles were first made available in the early 1960s.

2. Some of the first ATVs were 6-wheeled as opposed to the more common 4-wheeleers of today.

3. Originally brake lights were not required on ATVs; it was not until 1998 that they were made a requirement.

4. At slow speeds, an ATVs rear wheels will move in the opposite direction of the front wheels. Thus making it easier for parking and maneuvering.

5. It is illegal to operate ATVs with snorkels for deep-water crossings in Minnesota.

6. The first modern 4-wheeled ATV was released by Suzuki in 1983.

7. The ignition kill switch on ATVS is set by industry standards to be on the left side of the handlebars, but on the right side for snowmobiles.

8. In 1986 Honda released the FourTrax TRX350 4x4 that ushered in the era of popular four-wheel drive ATVs.

9. By the early 90's people began to realize that ATVs make great work vehicles, and they began to show up on farms and orchards alike.

10. The Honda Rubicon was the first production ATV with built-in GPS.

11. In Israel, ATVs are referred to as "Polaris'" Similarly to how people in the United States call all types of lip balm "Chapstick," and all types of cotton swaps "Q-Tips."

12. Honda made the first three-wheeled ATVs in 1970, which were famously portrayed in the James Bond movie, "Diamonds Are Forever".

13. Engine size on ATVs has little to do with trail damage, but this is what many Natural Resources Departments limit with a view to reducing trail damage.

14. The two largest ATV battery manufacturers, Yuasa and DEKA, have their main United States facilities only 20 miles apart in Pennsylvania.

15. Nearly every youth ATV sold in the US is made in Taiwan or China regardless of brand name.

Looking for a new or used golf cart Search no further. Points West Argo is your Northern California source for golf cart sales, rentals, and accessories.

Article Source: Tom Tomlinson - EzineArticles.com Expert Author Bio

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
4. At slow speeds, an ATVs rear wheels will move in the opposite direction of the front wheels. Thus making it easier for parking and maneuvering.

This makes it easier to parallel park when running into the liquor store to by a 12 pack and lotto ticket.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This makes it easier to parallel park when running into the liquor store to by a 12 pack and lotto ticket.
I've yet to see an ATV that turns the rear tires in opposite direction of the front tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake lights after 1998?

Helmut,

I am wondering about #3, all ATV's manufactured after 1998 requiring brake lights. I have just purchased my first ATV's, both 2002 Honda Rubicons, and neither of them have brake lights.

I am in the process of getting them street legal for Utah, so if I am missing something I'd love to know because figuring out how to get the brake light activation switch mounted is a real bear.

Thanks for having such a great forum to all the members and the moderators.

Take care,
Mike

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Helmut,

I am wondering about #4, all ATV's manufactured after 1998 requiring brake lights. I have just purchased my first ATV's, both 2002 Honda Rubicons, and neither of them have brake lights.

I am in the process of getting them street legal for Utah, so if I am missing something I'd love to know because figuring out how to get the brake light activation switch mounted is a real bear.

Thanks for having such a great forum to all the members and the moderators.

Take care,
Mike
Yeah, I saw that #3 isn't correct too, but I forgot to mention it. They all do have brake lights now, but they didn't start to around 2004 and some didn't have them until 2005. That came from the Ezine Articles website, so whoever wrote it wasn't correct about those two things, #3 and #4. Everything else looks to be correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Helmut,

Bummer -- I would have loved for someone to tell me that I just had to throw a switch and the tail lights would magically turn into brake lights!

The good news is that the only dealer in town that does safety inspections said to just put the brake light activation switch on the foot pedal, even though I hardly ever use it I just need to be able to make the light come on so that he can certify that it has brake lights.

Turn signals and horn are all that is left!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
The wheels turn in the oposite direction at slow speeds because they are on Ice!!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How could someone make that mistake?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts