Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to install a 14% gr on a 2000 foreman 450es? i bought one a few years ago but never got around to putting it in since i never really found good instructions for it.

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
14.5% on a 450 is about as easy as it can get , the primary gear and clutch basket are right out a 300 , no cutting , welding or grinding to build it , drops right in -----you need to take your right side cover off , remove both clutches and swop the parts , I would suggest a new set of clutches for the change clutch and soak them in oil prior to installing , not a fan of the heavy duty springs that come in the EBC clutch kits as it makes it harder to shift , I would use the stock springs

·
Registered
97 Posts
14.5% on a 450 is about as easy as it can get , the primary gear and clutch basket are right out a 300 , no cutting , welding or grinding to build it , drops right in -----you need to take your right side cover off , remove both clutches and swop the parts , I would suggest a new set of clutches for the change clutch and soak them in oil prior to installing , not a fan of the heavy duty springs that come in the EBC clutch kits as it makes it harder to shift , I would use the stock springs
When doing this do you re use your washers that are behind the clutch basket and gear

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
yes I did use the one washer with the 14.5 % reduction --------- I have 34.5% on my other 450 , that was a lot harder to install , I had to do a lot of grinding of the case , didn't use the washer on that one as I was told not to , but heard people that say they did ------ the two bikes make a totally different gear train sound , the one with out the washer is louder , but it is a different ratio

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
The only thing that determines whether to use a washer or not is the length of the primary compared to the stock item and the length of the clutch basket. By length I mean the distance between the inner side and outer side of both gears, where it fits over the shaft. If it's the same then use the washers, if different then make the necessary modifications to ensure a true fit.

Heads up...

If you don't fit the washer to the primary gear you'll get a whining noise, no big deal just annoying.

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
some reduction primaries have a recess where the washer fits into the recess and when the washer is in the recess it is flat with the back side of the primary gear , some don't have the recess , I think if the recess is there then you need to use the washer ----

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
some reduction primaries have a recess where the washer fits into the recess and when the washer is in the recess it is flat with the back side of the primary gear , some don't have the recess , I think if the recess is there then you need to use the washer ----
Absolutely spot on 👍

Always worth measuring though, some reductions have the thickness of the washer machined off the face of the gear rather than a recess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SamUK
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing