Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter rodents chewed up the wiring harness. Took to Honda Dealer and they was going to charge $800. Mechanic walked out back and told me to buy a wiring harness ($225) and install it myself. I have completed said task and every time I turn the the key on, the 10 amp ignition fuse still pops. Have not found any other sign of chewed/naked wires anywhere. Read in a thread to unplug rectifier and see if it blows or not. With rectifier unplugged, ignition fuse still pops. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
you either missed a chewed wire ?, or you did not install the wire harness right somewhere ?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily the wiring harness is almost dummy proof because every plug corresponds with a certain size/color male/female so I double checked to ensure everything was snapped in place. I am going ahead an ordering the 2nd/minor harness to swap it out (only $10) to ensure all harnesses are new and good shape. While at the Dealer the mechanic suggested that I swap the "cdi box" while in there working on it but no schematic shows a cdi box nor does any manufacturer offer a cdi box. I know that's the brain box / computer but the closest thing I can find on the schematic is a PGM-FI unit??? Reckon that would be the brain box for theses newer models? I've also read on here that the water proof relay could be bad and that I need to replace that.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Luckily the wiring harness is almost dummy proof because every plug corresponds with a certain size/color male/female so I double checked to ensure everything was snapped in place. I am going ahead an ordering the 2nd/minor harness to swap it out (only $10) to ensure all harnesses are new and good shape. While at the Dealer the mechanic suggested that I swap the "cdi box" while in there working on it but no schematic shows a cdi box nor does any manufacturer offer a cdi box. I know that's the brain box / computer but the closest thing I can find on the schematic is a PGM-FI unit??? Reckon that would be the brain box for theses newer models? I've also read on here that the water proof relay could be bad and that I need to replace that.
yes, the PGM-FI unit is what we call the c.d.i. , but I don't buy it, that is what is making it pop your fuses !. try this before you rush out, and start buying parts you don't need !. unplug everything cept the ignition switch, then one at a time, start plugging in a connector, wire, whatever..ONE BY ONE, as you turn the key on, then when you turn the key on after plugging something in ?, then you will narrow your problem down to what is on the circuit .

Reactions: b52bombardier1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts