Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum.

Just picked up a 2008 420 rancher with manual shift and 10k km.
I'm new to these things so maybe it's just how they are.

The throttle seems very touchy, as it will jump forward even when being (I think) very gentle with throttle.
Also, when trying to shift into 2nd, the engine braking is so severe that it basically comes to a stop before I can get it into gear. When driving around in 1st, I don't even need to use the brakes to come to a stop.

Any comments? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below. If one is not available then search fleabay for a printed manual. Honda, not Clymer or Haynes.
You’re gonna have to check to make sure the brakes aren’t locked up. Adjust them. If drum brakes maybe stuffed with mud
Will it roll easy in neutral?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

It will roll in neutral (I tested with engine off). The rear brake cables are adjusted way out (hand and foot lever do nothing).
It does not have a hand clutch.

Could the clutch possibly need adjusting? Would that match the symptoms?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have an 08 manual shift 420 Rancher. It has always been hard to shift from 1st - 2nd. I switched over to shell 5w-40 synthetic and that made it easier, also let off the throttle all the way then shift, then back on the throttle quickly and you will be able to shift easier…without losing much speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Following up... adjusting the clutch seemed to have made the situation better. After loosening the lock nut, it was almost a full turn counter clockwise before I felt resistance. Turning it back 1/4 turn and locking it has made it feel much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts