Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this forum. I have a 07 TRX500 with about 7500KM on it. This passed weekend the 15 amp fuse for the lights and console blew twice on me. It seemed to happen when I was driving up a small river, this ever happen to anyone? Or does anyone have any advice on finding the root of the problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
A blown fuse indicates a short circuit. Bare wire against the frame, water & mud inside a harness connector, mice chewed on the wiring, etc. You can buy an aerosol can of electrical contacts cleaner, open every harness connector (& lights sockets/plugs) and clean them real good and allow to dry. Then seal the connectors up using dielectric grease in each plug to make them watertight. This will take some time and work... while you are moving around the bike with the fenders off, look for frayed or broken wires that might be causing the short. Also check that the fuse socket is clean and tightly grips on the fuse.

Welcome to the forums!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Retro is correct. Welcome to every technician's headache - the intermittent problem! You really need a wiring diagram. Your problem is a short somewhere between the fuse and the load(s) - lights, etc, or a faulty component. With a wiring diagram, you can inspect the circuit from one end to the other. Retro's advice makes sense because not only are you doing preventative maintenance, but it also will force you to inspect the wiring at the same time, hopefully identifying the problem. Another thing you could do is try wiggling/moving the wiring harness at different locations to see if you can get the fuse to blow. That might help identify the approximate location of your issue.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top