Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New here. I have a 07 Rubicon with a intermittent spark issue. I have replaced plug, wire, boot, coil, and CDI box and still same problem. It starts and runs for a while then dies . Getting frustrated with it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
How long does it run until it loses spark? Does it run right while it is running? Is the motor overheating?

Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
OK, make sure it isn't low on oil, then warm the motor up and follow the initialization procedure in chapter 24 of the service manual. Make sure you complete this through until the last step where it shows you were successful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I will try that. Shouldn't be the oil I just changed that and filter. Any chance the stator is going out?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
It could be anything... but first step, ya gotta initialize the ECU. Anytime the TPS or ECU is replaced the new one has to be initialized. If the procedure won't complete successfully, then you go looking for why... follow me? Pay attention to how the ECU responds to each step and if the INI fails come back here and tell us all about it. We need details...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went to try initialize the ECU but, now i cant get it to start. when it does start it runs for like 3 secounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I initialize the ECU. Also before I did I took off the connections and cleaned them up, it ran great. Plowed the snow and on the last swipe it died again. I am thinking of trying another coil.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Why are you buying another coil when you've already learned that you have dirty or corroded wiring harness plugs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because the issue with the plugs has been fixed. The coil I bought before was off of amazon. tried saving a buck, but the one I ordered is from honda. I think its the coil because now that it does start, when it gets warm it will shut down. must be cracked.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Aye, aye sir. Thanks for that additional info! If you have any other china knockoffs on the bike those will need to be replaced AGAIN, with OEM too. I cannot afford to buy china parts... are you extremely wealthy with an excess in tinker-time or what? :)

Put a new NGK spark plug (not Champion) in it too... and keep a smile on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha yes plenty of tinker time. Have to have a reason to get away while the wife watches the F'in Kardashians. Also yest my plug and boot are both NGK. Just skimped on the coil. Won't be making that mistake twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts