Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07' FI Rancher (4x4 manual shift) it's been sitting for about 3-4yrs and would like to try and take it hunting with the kid this year. With it sitting for this long what should I look for before trying to start it? Fuel and oil I already will be changing along with the battery. Is there anything special that needs done with the FI before trying to start it? I don't want to cause any issues in the long run.

Thank you.

·
Registered
98 Fourtrax 300 and 04 250ex
13 Posts
If I were you I would change out the spark plug, air filter and oil filter if it has one. Otherwise you should be fine, but if it doesn't start, there could be old gas dried up inside the carb which you would want a carb rebuild kit for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Colton, thank you for the response. I forgot about the spark plugs, but will change those as well. I forgot to mention I will be replacing the air filter as well since the last one fell apart as I was checking it out. As for the fuel system, it's a fuel injected quad. I wasn't sure if there was anything that I would need to clean on those before trying to start it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Colton, thank you for the response. I forgot about the spark plugs, but will change those as well. I forgot to mention I will be replacing the air filter as well since the last one fell apart as I was checking it out. As for the fuel system, it's a fuel injected quad. I wasn't sure if there was anything that I would need to clean on those before trying to start it up.
It should be good to go if you replace everything I forgot it was fuel injected but that should make starting even easier, in terms of any long term damage there is nothing that can really happen besides not running good until new gas goes through the throttle body.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the battery replaced, tried to drain the old fuel but nothing was coming out. Took out the gas tank, cleaned up the fuel gauge and found that the petcock was shot. Going to clean out the tank while I'm waiting for the new petcock to come in. Now to change the oil and filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced the petcock, got the tank back in and all lines put back on. Added some fuel and tried to start it up.......and nothing. Spark plug is good, fuel is now flowing from the tank to the fuel pump. Removed the fuel pump and it's a mess inside. Cleaned it up and waiting for those replacement parts now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replaced the petcock, got the tank back in and all lines put back on. Added some fuel and tried to start it up.......and nothing. Spark plug is good, fuel is now flowing from the tank to the fuel pump. Removed the fuel pump and it's a mess inside. Cleaned it up and waiting for those replacement parts now.
Cool, definetly sounds like its not getting gas should be fine as long as there is nothing stuck in the throttle body.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New fuel pump, petcock, spark plug, oil change, battery, and fuel. Quad is back up and running well.
Took it out today for the first day of buck hunting with a complete success.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts