Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 Honda Rancher 400AT. The engine gets hot pretty quickly and the engine will still be hot after an hour of sitting. The fan comes on but no light comes on.
Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s actually normal what it is is the motor is air cooled and the fan isn’t big enough to cool it down unless your moving to get air circulation all the way around the motor id say that it can sit for at most 5 minutes (if not moving) if any longer than that then kill it so it’ll stay cool

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem man just keep that in mind and if you have any other questions or issues let us know

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '06 Honda Rancer 400 at and latley it has been overheating after scarcely driving it for under 10 min. I have cleaned the radiator on many occasions it still doesnt help. Where do I check the coolant at? what's more, what kind would it be a good idea for me to add if necessary? I couldnt discover the spot to check the coolant so perhaps you can help!
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the 400 is air cooled. It has an oil cooler on it. I think I heard once that something could be clogging the oil line by the oil cooler so it can't cool the oil. I am not sure though, I am pretty new to the rancher but am trying to learn as much as I can. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I don’t know this specific model.
Oil temp sensors use a thermistor that starts out about 9.5KOhms and lose resistance at higher temps—at about 212F/100C the sensor needs to be down to 1KOhm for the fan to kick on. At 330F, there should be essentially no resistance (230 Ohms) so the the oil light should also illuminate.
As oil temp sensors age, the resistance values tend to increase resulting in higher oil temps before the fan is commanded to activate. Ground the oil temp sensor to the frame to ensure your fan activates.

I recommend buying a new oil temp sensor. You can test the one you have, may find it’s 11-13 KOhms which is out of spec. Get a new one. Keep the old one. Compare R values
Here’s me testing my sensor; my sensor is a two wire design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 Honda Rancher 400AT. The engine gets hot pretty quickly and the engine will still be hot after an hour of sitting. The fan comes on but no light comes on.
Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!
All I've ever owned is honda quads and one side by side and a few atc but make sure that your radiator is clear so you can see through it and the radiator overflow is correctly filled before jumping the gun of big repairs. Always start at the obvious and work back off that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts