Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ko, here it is. I have a 2007 420 FM and I can ride trail and lite mud all day, no problems. BUT, when I go to really play and get in some water, this thing will stall. Air box has always been bone dry. It will start back up right away but then under load, it stalls again! I have dielectric greased the spark plug and all the electrical connections I can get to.

Any suggestions, I really like the machine but this is getting frustrating!

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
want to play in the water??? buy a jetski or a boat. your probably drowning the CDI or some other electrical component

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not talking alot of water here at all,more mud than anything, maybe just over the tires at most, don't think a jetski would cut it, but it happens even if i hit a puddle with any speed at all and it splashes. if this thing cant drive through a puddle without stalling i would think something is up.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Maybe you're having a problem with steam getting sucked up into the intake. I don't know if the 420 Rancher had a problem with that or not, but Yamaha had a problem with the early Grizzly models, because of those plastic panels that cover the engine on each side. When you would go through water, steam would get trapped in the engine area and couldn't get out because of those panels. The steam would get sucked into the intake and the engine would sputter and die. They fixed the problem by putting vent holes or slots in the panels so the steam could escape. I don't know if that would be a problem on the 420 or not, but they have those engine covers. Just a thought.

You might pull those panels off and try going through water and see if it helps. If that's not the problem, I don't know what would be wrong, since you've already put dielectric grease on all the connections.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
well that's fuel injected right? have you checked all of your front lighting connectors? these quad's harnesses all tie together at somepoint and moisture getting somewhere would cause your situation. also I would check any vents on the fuel system and engine.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yep, the 420 is fuel injected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, I'll have to pull the plastic off and re-check all my electrical connections. I heard about the side panels on the yamaha and removed mine last year, thought it solved the problem but last mondays ride proved otherwise.

hopefully i just missed a connector or two and its nothing serious.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my 2 cents take panles off and with a garden hoes spray small areas by eletical stuff and see ware it mite stall ?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
my 2 cents take panles off and with a garden hoes spray small areas by eletical stuff and see ware it mite stall ?
That's an ideal that might work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, took all the plastic off this thing, found a couple electrical connections that i didn't have dielectric greased and took care of them. also found the spark plug boot had a 1/2 inch tear in it right at the bottom.( i don't know if thats the problem)

i'm going to try the hose idea to try and isolate where the problem is if its not the spark plug boot.

thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i worked at a ford shop/dealer thats how techs found eletical probles that puzzaled them ectt ( alot)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I would speculate that problems caused by water are High Voltage problems. At low voltage, the water wouldn't cause any problems, in the short term.

Meaning, if you are running along and hit a puddle, and suddenly the machine cuts off, it aint because a low voltage circuit got wet. Look at the high Voltage circuits.

I think the spark plug or coil is where your problem lies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just for a conclusion to this issue...it was the small tear in the sparkplug boot. replaced it for $20 and 5 minutes of work and no more problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts