Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Looking for some help. I bought my wife a 2005 TRX400 for this last Christmas. It is having a bit of trouble staying idling so I went to go adjust the fuel mixture bit. That is when I found out that you need some special tool for the 2005s. I looked into getting one of those extended fuel mixture screws like I used to have on my old Raptor. Can't seem to find one that will fit this bike anywhere and I also can't find this special tool that is needed. Any help would be appreciated. I have done multiple searches of people asking these things before but I can't really find a definitive response on something that has worked.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums, never seen any spec tool to adjust the pilot screw mixture on most Honda carbs ?, it's just a flat blade screw type. small flat head will work all day long :). it's easier to do when the carb is off the motor ?, but, can be done with it on as well, I just set my carbs before I install them after a good cleaning/rebuild.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
BikeMaster Extra Reach Adjustment Screwdriver | MotoSport

Worth every penny......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this exact one and he is correct it is worth every penny. But its not going to help with the stupid D shaped mixture screw. What i always do is get a carb rebuild kit off ebay preferably moose and i get it for a pre 05 400ex and you will get a flat tip ended mixture screw. Or you can buy the special D shaped bit off motion pro, dynojet, or at alot of honda dealers. They are priced super high though. Better off to just replace it with a flat tip one. A 22 brass fits over it nice and snug and will pull it right out. Or a small flat tip with alot of tinkering works also. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BikeMaster Extra Reach Adjustment Screwdriver | MotoSport

Worth every penny......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this exact one and he is correct it is worth every penny. But its not going to help with the stupid D shaped mixture screw. What i always do is get a carb rebuild kit off ebay preferably moose and i get it for a pre 05 400ex and you will get a flat tip ended mixture screw. Or you can buy the special D shaped bit off motion pro, dynojet, or at alot of honda dealers. They are priced super high though. Better off to just replace it with a flat tip one. A 22 brass fits over it nice and snug and will pull it right out. Or a small flat tip with alot of tinkering works also. Good luck!
Thanks slammed Ranger, looks like I am just going to have to go that route and replace the mixture screw with one from an 04 and down. Not sure what you mean by 22 brass. Are you saying I can turn it with an empty casing from a .22 cal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just did some searching and found what you were talking about slammedranger. BTW, I used to have the same screen name on a different forum haha. back when I had a bagged 95 ranger

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
wellllllllllllll..it woulda helped if you said it was a 2005 trx400ex ?, then I would have said, no idea. difference between a trx400, and a trx400ex..lol.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Just did some searching and found what you were talking about slammedranger. BTW, I used to have the same screen name on a different forum haha. back when I had a bagged 95 ranger

Yep .22 cal brass casing lol. Sorry got alittle hillbilly in my terminology. Glad you were able to figure out was i was talking about. I never bagged my old ranger. It was just static dropped really really really low. I also took the all wheel drive set-up and the 5.0 out of a ford explorer and made it all fit. It was running in the mid to low 12s in the quarter. Pretty fun truck. Honestly i miss it everyday. But ohio winters forced me to go with more ground clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wellllllllllllll..it woulda helped if you said it was a 2005 trx400ex ?, then I would have said, no idea. difference between a trx400, and a trx400ex..lol.
Sorry, figured the EX was implied, especially with a 2005. I've never heard of a 2005 TRX400 without the EX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yep .22 cal brass casing lol. Sorry got alittle hillbilly in my terminology. Glad you were able to figure out was i was talking about. I never bagged my old ranger. It was just static dropped really really really low. I also took the all wheel drive set-up and the 5.0 out of a ford explorer and made it all fit. It was running in the mid to low 12s in the quarter. Pretty fun truck. Honestly i miss it everyday. But ohio winters forced me to go with more ground clearance.
Thanks for the help. Truck sounds like it was fun. My 95 single cab was bagged in the rear and static up front but it was the gutless 4 banger and my 94 (which was technically a Mazda with a ranger front end shhhh) was bagged all the way around and had the 3.slow. Now I am out of the bagged scene and am focusing more on my Jeep and off-road toys.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah it was a fun project. It was a college project at UNOH. It was a 00 extended cab i got from my dad who bought it brand new. Sad thing is i know its been crushed years ago becuase the guy i sold it to loaded it up with something heavy even though i told him not to and it bottomed out and destroyed the whole truck. Ripped the whole rear axle off and everything. Im just glad he never showed me any pictures. All the blood sweat and tears put into it. So sad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts