Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New here and always look on this site for help but I'm stumped. I'm currently working on a 05 250 recon for a buddy that said it stop running with a loud tapping on top of engine. Well it had a broken valve guide and bent valve. Fixed that. Another problem the rear ends "locked". The tires will spin 1/2-1 inch in both directions. He said it moved fine when he put it away and it has sat for a about 6 months. Already pulled rear brakes and that didn't help. Any info is welcome! Thanks!

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
you need to tear the rear differential apart, and inspect the ring gear, pinion gear, drive shaft, all bearings in it. it is in neutral..right ??..lol.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Think letting it sit with blaster on it will help?
it can help, but I would not count on it !..lol. if it's never been changed/checked ?, i'm sure it's rusted in the ring gear !. soaking it, and a few good whacks with a hammer and 2x4, it will come apart. worse case ?, you will need to have it put in a press, and press the axle out, but !!!. you risk ruining your brake drum,backing plate if your not careful ?!.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was worried about. And no it's never been changed. The kid abused this quad and swamped it a few times in a creek across the road and wonders why I'm charging him so much for parts.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
That's what I was worried about. And no it's never been changed. The kid abused this quad and swamped it a few times in a creek across the road and wonders why I'm charging him so much for parts.
wait until you need to start replacing parts in the motor because he's to dumb to know that's not a damn boat ?!..lol. then he'll really complain about buying parts !!!..lmaooo.

· Registered
366 Posts
A picture would help, is the axle out? Is the brake drum removed? Do you have nut #24 off?

Here is a parts exploded view:
Honda ATV Parts 2005 TRX250TM A REAR FINAL GEAR Diagram

If you warm the ring gear with a propane torch then spray on the PB blaster it will help separate the parts.
Note: Warm means not over 300 degrees Fahrenheit! Any hotter and the hardness will change.

I got one apart like this and found that the spline on the ring and shaft were junk anyway.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
There's a special tool used to take the locknut out.. Some have used square tubing 1 1/2" I think ground down on the corners to fit...

Then there's another special tool to remove the pinion... I use the pinion nut and some metal cups I have to take it out with an impact wrench...

I pulled my bearing off with a 3 jaw puller...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.