Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
i'm thinking your angle sensor wasnt preloaded right..i remember someone had the same issue as your having..or close to it..and they done something to the angle sensor as far as pre-loading it...just what i've read on here..might wanna check to make sure it's right maybe ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Why won't this POS find Neutral?
There are 3 little plugs on the left lower side of the engine, just inside the plastic cover. They have the labels D/N/R indicating drive/neutral/reverse. I found that one plug (reverse) was severed. I fixed the connection, and now I have full reverse, and 1 speed forward. (Note - I have to start it in diagnostic mode: holding shift switches down when I turn on the key) If I start it with the (--) showing on the heads-up display, I at least have 1 forward and Reverse gear.

Again - why can the machine not identify Neutral? When I start the machine in the initialization sequence, and press UP,DOWN,UP, it then goes directly to (--). Whereas it should go to "N" and if you fully depress the throttle it should initialize the shift control motor. This is where I'm stuck.

I swear I've eliminated virtually all other variables.....does anyone know how the machine determines Neutral? Is it a switch? Sensor?

Thus far:
1. New angle sensor - no more code 6.
2. New shift control motor
3. New and/or used ECM X 3. That's correct, I have 3 ECM's. LOL. Anyone want to buy one?
4. New battery
5. New voltage rectifier (it was showing overvoltage by a LONG way)
6. Fixed the severed REVERSE plug found on the rear left side of the engine, close to the plugs Labelled N and D (neutral and drive respectively)

WHAT TO DO?????

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
That neutral sensor is what determines when it's in neutral and it might be bad. How many wires are going to the neutral switch? If it only has one wire going to it, unplug the wire and hold it firmly against the engine crankcase or somewhere where it will get a good ground and then try it and see if it will find neutral.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got done reading through your ordeal. Dude!

Set the dam thing on fire & sell tickets, part it out, dig a big hole in the back yard push it in & let the neighborhood kids have at it with a base ball bat!

Cut your losses & move on!

Everyone loves a good challenge but hobbies are supposed to be fun!

I've got nothing useful to share. Good Luck!

Ol'Roy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just got done reading through your ordeal. Dude!

Set the dam thing on fire & sell tickets, part it out, dig a big hole in the back yard push it in & let the neighborhood kids have at it with a base ball bat!

Cut your losses & move on!

Everyone loves a good challenge but hobbies are supposed to be fun!

I've got nothing useful to share. Good Luck!

Ol'Roy
:icon_ rofl: Dude....I've contemplated all of the above. The problem is, I'm stubborn and I'm so close to solving it that I can't just walk away. :unsure:

I'm going to try grounding out the Neutral to the block as noted above to see if the machine will find neutral.

I only use the machine around the yard, and to plow my driveway in the winter. I did it last year, with just one forward reverse. NO REVERSE. I'm already looking forward to next year with a REVERSE gear! LOL

When I do get this girl going, I'm going to take it to some trails and drive the bag out of it to show her who's boss!

Let me know how you make out with yours ok?

Daemon

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see that. I've got the same habit/problem/curse???

You think the rodent scenario might apply to you?

Mine was working fine when I parked it & I immediately had problems when I pulled it out of the barn a week later.

I hope continuity tests this weekend reveal something!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daemonw did you ever fix this problem because I too am also having this problem as well just wondering if you have found a fix to the problem????

·
Registered
2 Posts
not shure were to get one cheep but I just joined this forum for the same problem and I have replaced angle sensor shift motor and pcm and cleaned and greesed every connection possible please help the harness is last and most expensive problem got worse with new pcm

21 - 30 of 30 Posts