Honda ATV Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I see you did some polishing on the front pumpkin what polish (method) did you use ?
Sorry for the late response, been on vacation all week. I used easy Off on it first, what that didn't take off, I used my dremel tool with a stainless cup brush. I didn't go overboard, figured its only going to get dirty again.

Front end is back together, brakes are bleed, and adjusted. Got the wheels back on for now, started on the rear end. Hope to get it all cleaned and painted before the end of the week.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I got another issue. I've been doing some welding for a guy and he see's the rancher in pieces and said 'I got a 2000 Foreman S 4X4 I'LL swap you for the welding labor. My first thought is its a turd...He claims he got it as a package deal at an auction with a Rancher. I told him I'd come look at it. Well I went up yesterday and low and behold, it is a turd, but a good running, no smoking, no grinding turd. It is rough to say the least but runs surprisingly well for its cosmetic condition. Somebody abused the hell out of this thing and it continues to put out. I took it, got it home and me and my grandson spent the day riding it around the farm. If I can salvage it, I will keep it. I've always liked the square faced foreman's, plus I hear they like the ranchers are dam near bullet proof.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hell yea! I would say that's a good deal depending on how much welding labor you have with him.
Be careful riding it around with those mismatched tire sizes.
Also you'll love those foot guards. I have the same ones on my rancher and they are awesome!

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
No worries.... She's looking good! And Thanks for the update! Easy off (thumbs up)

Reactions: Dearl

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hell yea! I would say that's a good deal depending on how much welding labor you have with him.
Also you'll love those foot guards. I have the same ones on my rancher and they are awesome!
If I had to guess I would say I've got $300 worth of Labor in it. Yea, I've got the mate to the other tire in the barn, I'm going to put it on this evening before I go any further. I don't want to get side tracked working on the foreman to much and not the rancher. I've been in 2 projects at once before, and they both move slow if any at all. I'll leave the foreman be until the rancher is finished then tear the foreman down.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If I had to guess I would say I've got $300 worth of Labor in it. Yea, I've got the mate to the other tire in the barn, I'm going to put it on this evening before I go any further. I don't want to get side tracked working on the foreman to much and not the rancher. I've been in 2 projects at once before, and they both move slow if any at all. I'll leave the foreman be until the rancher is finished then tear the foreman down.
Yea $300 running and driving is a good deal I would think.
Definitely know what your talking about on 2 projects at once. Especially with 2 quads, you'll be mixing parts together hahaha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Worked on the Rancher some this weekend, I got the swing arm off, the right side bearing is bad. Never heard or felt anything telling me there was an issue, but I'll get those ordered along with all the seals for the rear differential today. Been holding off on the engine just yet. I'd like to finish all the drive line stuff and painting first and have a rolling chassis before I dive into the engine. Should be there by the end of January.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Stripped the frame and did some repair welding on the rear carrier hangers. It was cracked in a few spots so they were all re-welded and cleaned up. Hope to get the rest of the frame cleaned, primed and painted this week, then the swing arm goes back in. I can see things moving pretty quick here soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Jumped on the getting the swing arm bearings removed, and the outer rear axle bearings. The bearings housed in the brake hub assembly were good, dirty, but good. The other side was headed out. It would not roll without a lot of effort. Im glad I went through the rear end now, didn't have any idea there were 2 bad bearings In there.
The swing arm bearings went fairly smooth, popped one out through the hole in the differential drive shaft tube without any trouble. The other side, I went with Shades method of using a dremel and cutting a piece out of the race, used a punch to get it moving, it too popped right out. So once I get all these parts in, get the swing arm and frame painted, re-install the swing-arm and rear end. Get the brakes working (need both rear brake cables), and a set of tires on the rear.......I get to start working on the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly what I was told by a guy at the local shop. Didn't know you could rebuild them though, thought they were a plug and play deal, and honestly was sweating the 400 bucks for just the crank and rod assembly.

I already have the service manual, printed it off, put it in a binder so I can have it at my finger tips. Thanks for the heads up on the shift drum, I'll be checking into that.
Where and how do you find the service manual for 2004 honda rancher trx 350 fm 4x4.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts