Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
I talked for a long time with Vince (Mr Crankshaft) and he uses Vesrah rods which he said are superior to the OEM rods. If you need a crank I'd send your old one to him for a rebuild rather than get a new OEM crank assembly.

The long ways motors apparently don't oil as well as the old sideways motors. That came up when I pointed out that you don't see people with ruined cranks very often on the old 300's and 350 Foremans, but the 350 and 420 Ranchers and 500 Foremen seem to eat cranks.

I could definitely tell that his rebuild crank was tighter than a new OEM crank.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
its a shame you have to learn the hard way, sunken motors just dont last unless you split the cases, clean them out, rebuild them. been down this road many times with owners. your off to a good start, down load the service manual, read it, tear the motor down, rebuild it. one good tip: check to see if that year model has the bad shift drum ?, if it did/does ?, replace it with the newer upgraded shift drum !. they are very prone to snap off at the rear of the shift drum.
Think that was only 2000 that did that. The 01-up schematics have a different part number for the drum.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Shift drum breakage occurred on '00 & '01 models. The fix is an '02 & up drum and rear bearing delete:

Yeah the extra motor I have in the shop is a 2000ES, so I ordered a whole transmission from PSN from an 05 simply because it included teh shift drum and was cheaper than buying only the drum anywhere else I could find one. Going to do that, new timing chain, seals, and crank in the bottom end, and of course, convert the shifter to a footshift splined shifter.

I'm stuck working on the house for the foreseeable future. In-laws are coming in right before Christmas and the wife wants the dining room painted before they get here.

Out of curiosity though, wouldn't a drum end sitting in a needle bearing be better than a larger drum end not sitting in a bearing/ wearing on the crankcase, or is there still a bearing in the case on the 02-up?

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Executioners are HEAVY. I have 27's on an 09 Foreman. I'd look at Zillas or Mudbugs if you want to run 26's.

I bought a set of 27" Mudbugs for my other 09 Foreman and they pull a little better than the Executioners, same price, much lighter so they ride better. I liked them enough that I bought a set of 26's for the wife's Rancher and a set of 28's for my 06 Foreman.

The only thing I'm not sure on with the Bugs is how long they'll last. Executioners wear like iron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts