Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up. I ran my foreman off in some water that was bout chest deep, why I have no clue.....I made it fine the first try but the second try I flipped it over on top of me in the water. I drained the water out of the airbox and checked the spark plug and it was dry, so I didn't check to see if any water was in the oil and I just started it back up. It ran fine for a little while, then it started tickin and smokin. It was then when I decided to check the oil, and it ran out the fill hole like chocolate milk. I changed the oil 2 times, and it still smokes like the devil and ticks. What did I mess up, and how much did that mistake of not checkin the oil and keep runnin it cost me???

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Ouch....huge mistake. :eek:

Check your rings.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Run a compression check first. If there was a ton of water it probably took out the crank,rings and numerous other things sorry to say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would definatly go with the compression check first, if the engine didn't hydralic lock or water didn't stay in it long enough to cause pitting there is a good chance the bottom end is fine, Although excessive oil/water in the bottom end could damage gaskets and seals I have resurected many from the same thing usually with just rings, maybe a piston here and there.(it doesn't take much water to wash a set or rings or even the cyl. If it is just a light tick it is making I'd go with valve clearance, if its more of a knock then you probably did hydralic it and possibly bent the con rod or damaged ristpin and bearing and possibly broke rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts