Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the one way bearing, the bike cranks over but doesn't start with the starter on. If I take the starter off it will start. For some reason the atv starts perfectly fine push starting it without a starter. I've tried taking everything apart and putting it back together and it's the same problem. Can you guys help me out figure out what I might be doing wrong? I've tested the starter out and it's perfect. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple days now and I can't seem to get it to work with the starter.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
welcome to the forums. first, there is no such atv as a 2003 trx300 !!. sooo..with that said, is yours a trx350 rancher by any chance ?. you say you replaced the one-way bearing, any chance you installed the one-way bearing backwards ???. to test this, try cranking it with the electric starter, does it '' free '' spin ?, if it '' free '' spins ?, then you installed the one-way bearing backwards in the centrifugal clutch. if it does not move at all ?, then your starter is binding some how ?.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
when the starter is on the motor, does it lock up the motor where it won't turn over ?. i'm with retro here, your first post is a little confusing.

· Registered
7,085 Posts
I think the issue is that there is no spark when using the electric start, but when it's push started it works fine. He says in his first sentence it cranks over fine, I don't really understand the confusion. I can't answer the question but it seems pretty straight foreword....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I think the issue is that there is no spark when using the electric start, but when it's push started it works fine. He says in his first sentence it cranks over fine, I don't really understand the confusion. I can't answer the question but it seems pretty straight foreword....

ok, then my money says the c.d.i. is bad if it won't spark the plug by the electric start.

Reactions: mac102004

· Registered
7,085 Posts

ok, then my money says the c.d.i. is bad if it won't spark the plug by the electric start.

I was thinking that or possibly an issue with the handlebar switch itself.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts

I was thinking that or possibly an issue with the handlebar switch itself.

could be ?. I just know when they won't fire from the electric start button ?, but otherwise will start and run ?, this has proved me in the past, the c.d.i. was bad.

Reactions: retro
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.