Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have changed the plug, coil wire and clean the carb. runs good for about 15 min. then starts to stall. starts right back up then stalls. can juice the gas and kind of keep it going. will always restart.
could this be electrical? Possible ICM?
BTW is the ICM and a CDI control the same?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. never heard the the c.d.i. called ICM, other than a missile ?..lol. sounds like fuel is not getting from the tank to carb ?, can be from a dirty petcock ?, or a sticking float needle in the carb's float bowl ?. can also have a dirty carb ?. is the fuel fresh ?. in todays gas, it goes bad in just a months time if they sit up, and not ran ?. I always shut my fuel off, and open the drain screw on all my carb's float bowls to get any and all fuel out of the carb. when fuel sits in the float bowl, it gums up the float needle, then all kinds of problems happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
in the repair manual I downloaded ICM module is located under the right front fender. cannot find an ICM for sale in any online parts houses. all they list is a CDI.
will check petcock and clean carb again.
thanks

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
in the repair manual I downloaded ICM module is located under the right front fender. cannot find an ICM for sale in any online parts houses. all they list is a CDI.
will check petcock and clean carb again.
thanks
what the manual is calling ICM, this is also known as ignition control module. same thing as c.d.i. , which stands for capacitor discharged ignition. just look for ignition module.

·
Registered
20 Posts
we have changed the plug, coil wire and clean the carb. runs good for about 15 min. then starts to stall. starts right back up then stalls. can juice the gas and kind of keep it going. will always restart.
could this be electrical? Possible ICM?
BTW is the ICM and a CDI control the same?
if it is warm outside and it stops after a few minutes my best guess it the chock is stuck on I would take the carb off and spray parts cleaner through every hole but wear a face sheild and glasses or gogles so you do not inadvertantly get yourself in the eyeballs. Check the coil for inductance as well as the wires and check the charging system to see if you are getting 14 volts to the battery

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is a CDI (ICM) problem. I had the same problem with my 400ex. Changed the same stuff you did, and thought why not give the cdi a go. Replaced my cdi, and it runs perfect. No more random shutting off problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts