Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, and I just went and got a trx 90 out of a guys barn that had been sitting for 3yrs because his kids broke the pull starter, I was looking it over and was going to try to push start the little beast after cleaning all the fuel system, but Its not getting any spark even with a new plug. Any ideas on where to start first any info will be greatly appreciated my son can't wait to ride this thing.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Start with cleaning all the electrical hook ups. Moisture causes corrosion on the joints. We just had the same problem with an old JD patio tractor we get out every few years. I had to go through it sprayed cleaner in connections and used Dieletric grease and it finaly started right up.
Also sitting in a barn a mouse or something could have nibbled at a wire an or something like that. Make sure no chaffed or broken wires aswell. Thats the simple stuff. Then you go to checking the coil etc. Maybe someone with more knowledge of a 90 will come along to assist you with it. Or maybe a manual download.
Welcome to the Forums!

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Welcome to the forums, you got some good starting tips there, let us know what you have done and if it worked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked all the wire connections yesterday when we got it home, and they all looked great I physically pulled them apart and reconnected them, the bad part of it is the pull starter is broke, so the only way I hace to see it its getting spark is to push it with it in gear. I need to dig my volt meter out of the garage and do dome more testing today. Oh yeah does anyone have a wring diagram?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Know this is probable a stupid question but is the on/off switch in the run position?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Oh yeah does anyone have a wring diagram?
I don't have a repair manual for the '02 TRX90, but I was able to locate a wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright I think I found something, correct me if im wrong, but the coil should not have a short from hot to ground right I got a resistance from the plug cap to the hotside of the coil, but there is a short from the hot side to ground. do I need a new coil?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Alright I think I found something, correct me if im wrong, but the coil should not have a short from hot to ground right I got a resistance from the plug cap to the hotside of the coil, but there is a short from the hot side to ground. do I need a new coil?
I'm not sure if I understand, but are you checking the primary windings? The primary windings should read a very low resistance. Are you touching the probes to the hot and ground terminals on the coil? If so, remember that those two terminals are connected on the inside by a coil of wire, so depending on the accuracy of your meter, it might read 0 resistance. What I'm trying to say is they're not shorted together, they're supposed to be connected. The primary windings in most coils will only read something like 0.1-0.2 ohms resistance, so depending on how accurate your meter is, it would be easy to get a reading of 0 ohms resistance. Disregard if I misunderstood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I was playing around with it again last night, and I bipassed the neutral switch, and hooked my volt meter up to the green and the black/yellow wire coming out of the ignition control module that go into the the ignition coil, and was getting something like 12volts coming out of it when I pushed the quad like to push start it. When I hooked those wires up to the coil and tested for the same thing from the plug cap I got nothing, I took the plug cap off and just tested the wire, and still got nothing. Still thinking its a bad ignition coil.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It might be, I would change it and see what happens. I don't have a manual for the TRX90, so I don't know the specs. for the coil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ITS ALIVE I got the little beauty running tonight, I took the cover off the flywheel, and saw that the pickup coil had been hit by some debris when the pull starter broke, and it was bent back a little, I just bent it back into shape and it was throwing a spark, I cleaned the carb, and it fired right up and purred like a kitten even after 3 years of sitting in a barn. I love these honda 90 motors my son was very excited when he heard it fire up. Thank you HELMUT for all the info

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
That's great, glad you got it running!!

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Yaaaayyyy it lives!!! glad you got it going. they are really fun to ride even for the big people..lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hell yeah, I used to have a 90 3-wheeler and it was a wheelie monster, you have to work a little more on the quad, but this thing is a blast to ride, I might have to get another one for my son:eek:hmy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts