Honda ATV Forum banner

02 recon needs some help

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
I am really in a pickle. I have an 02 recon ES completely stock
it started to make noises up top like its was the valves. and it stoped running
turned out the exhaust valve was to tight.
I adjusted the valves then it wouldnt start.
I cleaned the card and the idle jet was clogged and thing always acted like
it falls on its face before i cleaned it
now the damn thing wont run unless i put my hand over the carb hole with the coke all the way on, and it smokes really bad like a blueish black color. and after i take my hand off sometimes it squirts gas out the carb.
Stock jets adjusted fuel/air screw and nothing in or out
cleaned vent hoses and put them in there original places
new filter good compression new plug

Any help or suggestions would be awesome Thanks :hail:

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like it's flooding if you're getting black smoke. Maybe your float valve is stuck open.

#3 ·
most times..valves won't make a nosie..unless they are loose..after you adjusted the valve..and it wouldn't start..sounds to me they aren't adjusted right..as for it won't run..unless your hand is covering the carb..tells me your valves aren't timmed..or adjusted right..i know this sounds stupid..but..if the valves aren't in time..then it won't draw gas into the top end right...as for your carb acting stupid..take it back off..give it a very good cleaning..worst case..get a oem carb rebuild kit..and if your tight on money..purchase a after market rebuild kit...you said your got good compression..what was it when you tested it ?..or did you just use the old finger test ?.

#4 ·
that makes perfect sense, i adjusted the valves .005 on both, I figured it had good compression because the pull rope is harder then hell to pull (I can kick start my yz 250 with my hand) both valves are closed on the compression stroke so im positive its timed right but is there a possibility it is the timing chain

#5 ·
take the rocker box back off..take the inspection cap off the flywheel side..take the spark plug out..remove the flywheel cover cap...with a socket..i think they are 17mm..turn the fly wheel until you see the T mark line up on the flywheel...once thats lined up..look at the timming chain cam sprocket..it has either a punch mark on the outter side or 2 lines..they should be facing horizonal to the edge of the head -- o -- < --- like this..after it looks like that..your cam lobes should be facing down..if they aren't..means you jumped time...if all that is ok..you could have bent a valve..in order to check that..you will need to pull the head off..turn the head upside down with the valves facing you..pour some gas down into the valves..if you have a bent valve..it will leak past the valves.... < this is the easy way to check for bent valves without taking them out of the head >...if they leak gas through..you will need to take them out and replace them..you can not straighten them by any means. good luck..keep us posted.

#14 ·
If you know for sure that you adjusted your valves right, then I would say you just have a carb problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.