Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First time posting on the forum, been reading, but haven't seen a post that mirrored my issue yet, maybe I just missed it...

I have 2002 4x4, foot shift, and now have no power to the starter.

What happened:
I purchased a 12v tank sprayer so that I could weed the yard. I used it on / off for a few hours. At the end of my last cycle I noticed a bit of a drop in electrical power. Figured it had just drained down the battery after a long day's use. I turned the key on after about 5 minutes and had no lights (oil/neutral on dash). Again, I thought just a battery... pull started no problem. I rode it around to cool off the engine and power up the battery. After sitting about 30 minutes, I turned the key and once again had no lights, on the dash or headlights. I put the battery charger on it for a few minutes (12v 15amp) and checked the battery with a multimeter (12.94v). All seemed good, still no lights. Changed the charger over to jump start, still no lights. I let is sit for a while and eventually I turned the key and dash lights came on, slowly and flickering. I tapped the starter button, no response from the starter, but the lights flickered, dimmed, then slowly came back.

I checked fuses and battery terminals, all seemed good. Any thoughts?

NOTE: I did disconnect the tank sprayer.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
You drained your battery too far thus damaging the plates. How many watts of electrical power does your sprayer consume? You may also have overworked the stator and regulator / rectifier. These bikes don't make unlimited amounts of electrical power.

You possibly further trashed it by pumping it with 15 amps of recharge current.

Simply measuring battery voltage with a multimeter is not a good method of testing a battery. If it can't deliver lots of amps (which you did not measure), how do you know it's a good battery? Remember - volts x amps = watts - the ability to do useful work.

Get your battery load tested at an auto parts store. This is usually a free test.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll go ahead and test the battery further. Just seemed as though even if the battery was damaged a quick jump should at least give it enough juice to turn over. Maybe I'm wrong, has happened before.. at least my wife tells me that.

Either way, I've learned my lesson on the sprayer. Short spurts. Won't do the whole yard in one afternoon again...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree start with load testing the battery, I can't think the sprayer is so big as to cause a problem, how many amps does it draw, to small a wire can cause problems, do you have it directly to the battery? If you haven't removed and cleaned battery cables I would recommend that as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree start with load testing the battery, I can't think the sprayer is so big as to cause a problem, how many amps does it draw, to small a wire can cause problems, do you have it directly to the battery? If you haven't removed and cleaned battery cables I would recommend that as well

It's a little 1gpm 4 amp pump. Seems to be about 14-16 gauge wire with clips that go to the battery (has a switch inline).

·
Registered
223 Posts

It's a little 1gpm 4 amp pump. Seems to be about 14-16 gauge wire with clips that go to the battery (has a switch inline).

14 gauge would be preferred 16 should do it but would be at the max reccommended

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: #16 wire is plenty big enough to carry 4 amps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I don't think a new battery will fix it. Start by checking/cleaning the ground cable connections, both from the wiring harness to the frame and the negative battery cable grounding on the motor. Next up, check/clean starter solenoid connections and check all of the fuses. Clean the starter cable where it connects to the starter too. Then if its still dead check the ignition switch. You may find a service manual to use for reference in the manuals & schematics forum.

Don't ever allow more than 2-5 amps charge into a small battery such as your ATV battery. You'll ruin it.

Keep us updated...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi: #16 wire is plenty big enough to carry 4 amps.

In theory yes, soldered and shrink wrapped connections, just seen to many bad connections so always increase wire size, some people also look at 18g and think 16g. Lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey dj,
How ya making out?
I was just thinking, when you jump start it, have you tried checking to see what kind of power is going through the battery with your multi meter? If you see you have 14ish volts, at least you'll know it's generating enough power after it's running. Could still be a battery issue just not taking the charge.

You say you have no power to the starter. Do you mean it wont start or you have tested the wire coming from the starter coil and when you turn the key and push the start button, no power comes through the cable? I honestly am just learning myself, but you may want to check out the starter coil? I had a guy repair a rider mower once and her replaced the stater and battery only to learn it was a simple coil fix.
Also, I second, third and forth the idea of checking and cleaning all grounds carefully. that's a free fix if it's that simple.

I had a number of great helpers on here get me through my wheeler electrical issues. It turned out that I needed a new CDI box. But I started with the least expensive stuff and eventually got her up and running.
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts