Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a million times. But I have an issue I am not sure how to pin point. I was plowing snow and when I came to a stop the machine died out. I ran the electric start and it sounded like it wasnt catching anything. So I kept trying it and finally it caught and started. It did this 2 more times and then the third time it made ca-chunk sound, near the very front of the motor when trying to start it. And also the solenoid clicks as well. It doesnt sound like the starter but idk. The battery is good, but pull cord is broke. and I'm not sure which way the kick start rotates to the forward or rear? I'm guess it could be combo of solenoid and starter, but I dont know. Does anyone know the exact part numbers for an 02 foreman 450es?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked a million times. But I have an issue I am not sure how to pin point. I was plowing snow and when I came to a stop the machine died out. I ran the electric start and it sounded like it wasnt catching anything. So I kept trying it and finally it caught and started. It did this 2 more times and then the third time it made ca-chunk sound, near the very front of the motor when trying to start it. And also the solenoid clicks as well. It doesnt sound like the starter but idk. The battery is good, but pull cord is broke. and I'm not sure which way the kick start rotates to the forward or rear? I'm guess it could be combo of solenoid and starter, but I dont know. Does anyone know the exact part numbers for an 02 foreman 450es?
If the starter is freespinning the one way starter clutch bearing has gone bad either from tons of use or running improper atv wet clutch oil, they will get worse over time to the point where the starter will not turn over the motor, there is also a one way clutch bearing that runs the engine braking... it will make a spinning noise on shutoff and normally followed by a clunk it is possible both are bad each are a diffent job to change any running issue are more then likely carb or loss or spark issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figured it all out after a tear down. Took the rocker cover off, the rockers, the head, and their they were. Pieces of my exhaust seat sitting on top of the piston. The head and piston were having a party with the pieces and gouged the hell out of them. I was told by a buddy to either get a new seat pressed in and have it all cleaned up and dremel the high spots flush and throw it back together? or buy another head and replace the piston? The choice was mine, but the first option would be the cheapest? Any insight?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I figured it all out after a tear down. Took the rocker cover off, the rockers, the head, and their they were. Pieces of my exhaust seat sitting on top of the piston. The head and piston were having a party with the pieces and gouged the hell out of them. I was told by a buddy to either get a new seat pressed in and have it all cleaned up and dremel the high spots flush and throw it back together? or buy another head and replace the piston? The choice was mine, but the first option would be the cheapest? Any insight? View attachment 149750 View attachment 149751
I'd clean up the head and check and see if it's pitted badly if not just install new seats, while your at it check the clylinder for any scoring on the walls that seat could've destroyed the cylinder, if so just bore it out, if not just clean off the remaining bits and slap in a new valve seat and gaskets and time to ride (I'm not sure if there was damage to the prevent a new seat from sticking in the head better watch out for that may need a new head!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts