Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to the forum and just signed up. I have a reasonable amount of experience Atv s and just bought a 01 rancher 350 4wd that was locked up. Bought it as a project. Here are the details.
Motor not turning over recoil or starter. Took head and cylinder off and found valve seat in head had broke and kept piston from completing its stroke. All the seat bits where accounted for and engine lock up corrected. SO NOW THE REAL QUESTION!!!
Top end is off, piston still on rod cupped in a towel. I open the drain plug and almost nothing came out yet THE DIP STICK SAYS FULL. I pulled engine from frame and put on the bench, removed front clutch cover and 1.5-2 liters of clean new oil came out .. ANYONE HELP? or explain?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. try poking something up into the drain hole, see if anything is blocking it ?.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Does the oil pan look the like the original drain screw had been stripped and then something bigger and with deeper threads got installed?

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Sludge. I worked on an old Harley last month for a very ill friend. Had been storage for 4-5 years. Tank showed empty nothing came out of crankcase. Filled with oil, fresh battery and gas. Cranked it and blew thick funky brown oil all over me and corner of the shop. Pumped sludgy oil into the oil tank and Overfilled it good thing it has a friction fitted cap
Moral of the story is that if you crank the engine too much that sludge may end up in your oil lines and cooler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts