Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
01 forman rubicon 500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have been reading here for a while and now i need your help my quad suddenly started to leak oil out of the back of the motor.
Last thing i did was start it and rev it a little and the the next day i noticed the oil coming out !!
I haven’t been able to tell exactly where its coming from but a-lot of oil has come out so far. any help or check list items to rule out would be greatly appreciated. John...

·
Super Moderator
37,420 Posts
some pics of the leaking area will help us help you :). it could be leaking from any of the oil seals on that engine !.

·
Registered
01 forman rubicon 500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
0052EEC6-E972-4B61-A7F1-368A5B6A5BEF.jpeg

Shade i just had time today to really look at it to me it seems the boot cover at the end of the rear drive shaft where it meets the back of the motor has a hole in it i can stick my finger in it not sure if all that much oil is being held back if that gets a hole in it

·
Super Moderator
37,420 Posts
Hello anybody ??
my money says your rear output shaft oil seal is bad, thats motor oil, not gear oil. you will need to drop the rear swing arm, then carefully pry the spring clip out from the edge of the oil seal, then use a large screw driver to hammer a hole in it, then use a seal puller tool to yank the old seal out, grease edge of new seal, tap back in, replace spring clip, install rear swing arm back in, while lining drive shaft back up to output shaft. you will need a 17mm allen wrench to remove the swing arm bolts to drop it. also unscrew the clamp from the output shaft on motor before you drop swing arm. dont forget to replace swing arm boot !.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts