Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been restoring my 1998 Honda fourtrax 300fw I picked up last summer on the cheap with a mud filled rear diff and bum brakes. The pinion bearing removal in these are a pain. It’s 50/50 % chance of getting it out IMO without damming the case housing. Luckily you can buy aftermarket case housings for about $150+- if you do. I needed a new pinion bearing retaining clip so I went ahead and ordered the bearing/clip OEM from Honda. Hopefully it will last another good while as the the factory one did. Mine was corrosion and mud/dirt stained so a lot of clean up was required. I reused my factory ring and pinion gears so I was able to reuse the old shims. Pay attention to how they come out, especially on the ring gear. It’s hard to pick up .005mm thickness difference with the naked eye! When installed correctly by “feel”, you will have LESS gear backlash when configured correctly. And I my case was very little so pay attention. Anyway, a lot of long nights cleaning, I was able to get my rear diff rebuilt. I reused all the old hardware except the drain bolt, which I always try to keep fresh on anything I do, for ease and less trouble I the future. A wire wheel on a bench grinder will go along ways. The old rusty hardware cleaned up nice, and ran a thread die to clean up any bad threads. I’ll show a few pics of before and after. I found a beautiful color that I liked that added a nice clean and custom look to my diff. If I can help anyone tackling this project please feel free to drop questions, comments, and criticism below. I’ll help anyway I can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Most of these parts were cleaned and painted. Pics don’t show the hours of work actually put in 😮. I’ll get this installed and start on the front end. Gonna do the disk brake conversion upgrade. Ball joints, wheel bearings, cv axles will all get replaced. Wondering if anyone has replaced the steering stem bearing and bushing and how hard it was to pull all that out? I want to keep the steering as light as possible being all time 4wd.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much is it
Super ATV has a kit for around $250 and HiLifter sales one for about $300 I believe. I will be selling all my OEM front hydraulic drum brake equipment once I get it all pulled off as well if anyone is looking to repair or replace they’re OEM setup.

·
Registered
158 Posts
well they don't make the rear for the Honda 300 because the 300 is like this
and the Honda foreman looks like this
and they make it for the foreman because the brake is in the rim the fourtrax 300 is not but you do take the hole brake off so you could put another on of these in the pic and bolt it by the other on and then it would be more at the end then it would be like the
foreman and then you could put the rear brake kit let me know if this make since

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what I told you
It is possible to rig it up to make it work like you propose but I don’t think it’s for me. One thing is the cost of 2 kits and the other is stability and reliability concerns. Honestly a rear end swap would be probably a better option. With mine being rebuilt and nearly 100% new again, it works really well. The front brakes will receive the most usage and the disk brake swap up front should be fine for what I do with mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts