Tire Alignment Issue - Honda ATV Forum
Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 349 times
Garage
Tire Alignment Issue

2014 Rancher 420FM

Sorry for the long post.

The other day I noticed my left front tire seemed to be turned in more than the right.

The manual and other forum posts show how to measure and toe out the front tires.

To measure I used string tied to the trailer hitch and brought around so that it just touches the front edge of the rear tire and extending past the front tire, level with the axles. Then, I measured the distance from the rim to the string at the front and back of the tire rim. The results:

Right front tire: 2 5/8 front of rim; 2 3/4 back of rim
Left front tire: 3 1/8 front of rim; 2 5/8 back of rim

Clearly, my front left tire is toed in, but why??

Following the manual, I checked the Reference Distance (between lock nut and thread end) of each tie rod.

Right Front: 9mm inner and 10 1/2 mm outer
Left Front: 9mm inner and 11mm outer

My tie rod measurements are almost equal so why is my left tire turned in??? I see no damage to the tie rod.

I have 27x10x12 Swamp Lites front AND back put on by the PO. Does this make a difference??

As I said in my previous posts, I replaced both front CV axles and the right front knuckle bearing and seals. I had no wobble in the left front tire so I did not replace the bearing. Actually, I didn't need to replace the CV axles because it was the wheel bearing causing the problem. Live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1210 times
Garage
Are all 4 tires set at the same air pressure? That could throw off your measurement some. And these frames arent a precision machined unit. They are jig welded which can have variences. Also you cant take out the possibility the oem tie rod got bent and replaced by an aftermarket one that isnt the exactly the same length as the other side.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedRanger View Post
Are all 4 tires set at the same air pressure? That could throw off your measurement some. And these frames arent a precision machined unit. They are jig welded which can have variences. Also you cant take out the possibility the oem tie rod got bent and replaced by an aftermarket one that isnt the exactly the same length as the other side.
Yes, tires pressure is the same all around. I understand what you're saying about the frame.

Great point that the tie rod may have been replaced. Guess I will have to remove both tie rods and compare them, for starters. I'm assuming there is some sort of mark/number on a OEM tie rod.

Would someone please please make me stop looking at my Rancher. The more I look the more I find to question. Maybe I should throw a tarp over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
I'd just readjust the toe and not question why its out, cause I doubt if anything is wrong with it now.

I use a telescoping tube that locks to its extended length when it is twisted for quick toe settings. Its easier for one person to use than the stretchy string method.

Just measure between the beads on the rims forward and behind the axle as close as possible to halfway up the wheel. The frame will prevent ya from getting an ideal measurement height from the floor, so just measure forward & behind the axle at the same heights from the floor to maintain accuracy. Measure your tubing lengths using a tape measure. An old telescoping transistor radio antenna might work just as well.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I'd just readjust the toe and not question why its out, cause I doubt if anything is wrong with it now.

I use a telescoping tube that locks to its extended length when it is twisted for quick toe settings. Its easier for one person to use than the stretchy string method.

Just measure between the beads on the rims forward and behind the axle as close as possible to halfway up the wheel. The frame will prevent ya from getting an ideal measurement height from the floor, so just measure forward & behind the axle at the same heights from the floor to maintain accuracy. Measure your tubing lengths using a tape measure. An old telescoping transistor radio antenna might work just as well.
Thank you for the great info. I will try remeasuring and see what happens!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 PM

Liked: 57 times
I used a set of jack stands with a piece of string pulled tight from one to the other to set mine a few weeks ago. One jack stand was placed just past the front wheel, with the other at the rear. I set them to where I had an equal distance off the string at the front and back of the rear wheel rim. Then adjusted the tie rod until the same was true on the front wheel. That allowed me to measure off the wheels instead of the tires. Did that for each side. It worked surprisingly well, I thought.
LedFTed likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Liked: 295 times
Hi: This is how I do ATV's --- measurements are check from service manual

Tire Alignment TRX420

Make use your tires are pump up to the right pressure and on level ground.
Use a board with a good straight edge that will reach from the rear of the rear tire all the way to the front of the front.
Place the board across the center of the rear tire so it is touching each face of the rear tire (2 people would make is easier)
Go to the front tire and measure off the board to face side of the tire facing you, measure off each face of that tire. You should have 3/8 to 7/16 inches toe out.
Then check the other side. If not the same take a good look at the tie rods for being damaged. Then adjust the tie rods to get the proper alignment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Alignnent.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	136478  
_Wilson_ likes this.

2011 Honda TRX420FPA PG CTE camo EPS
Auto & Electric Shift -- IRS -- Programmed Fuel Injection
25" Kenda K587 Bear Claws HTR
Garmin Montana 600 Ram mount & Rugged mount
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melatv View Post
Hi: This is how I do ATV's --- measurements are check from service manual

Tire Alignment TRX420

Make use your tires are pump up to the right pressure and on level ground.
Use a board with a good straight edge that will reach from the rear of the rear tire all the way to the front of the front.
Place the board across the center of the rear tire so it is touching each face of the rear tire (2 people would make is easier)
Go to the front tire and measure off the board to face side of the tire facing you, measure off each face of that tire. You should have 3/8 to 7/16 inches toe out.
Then check the other side. If not the same take a good look at the tie rods for being damaged. Then adjust the tie rods to get the proper alignment
concept with boards is about how I do it with eye-balling it from front to back with my eyes, I explained this to her, its how i've done it for 26 years or more, never failed me yet !. I don't do toe in, or toe out, I put my tires straight.
LedFTed likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 415 times
i do it kinda like Melatv, when i can find 2 straight 2x4's. i read also that it is better to have the front some toe'd out. it does handle better on the asphalt, if ya have to ride there, and supposedly, in the woods, grass, an mud, it dont matter. i know it helps on the road, but dont help my tire's any. of course most people wouldnt go as fast on the road as i have. topped out near 48, once.
it was on a straight, mostly.. wouldnt want to try it on a curve.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 415 times
shadetree; i forgot to say i eye em up too. i just give them a little toe out, in the front. it's safer for me..
shadetree likes this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have to though, to match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in