Torn between 2 Tires - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4253 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
Is the Harbor Freight Mini tire changer any good? With my 20% coupon its around $38 ? If I canít find someone to do it in town?
I don't know about the mini version ?, but I know one of their models does pretty good for dismounting and mounting atv tires. the down fall of any of them is the base !. its not big enough, or heavy enough to keep up right when working with any tires. you will need to mount the machine to a large heavy wide foot base to make it easier to use.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2974 times
Once you break the beads down you don't need any fancy tools to change ATV tires. Just lube the beads and rims up with soap and they come right off real easy with a light pry to get the bead started. Same game going back on except... I never use tools to put ATV tires on because they scar up the finish on the rims. Just coat the beads and rims with soap and push them on by hand with my knee shoved into the bead. Then use a damp rag to clean up the soap and dry out the interiors good with a hot hair dryer before inflating them.

But... some of them (or most!) break down like they was glued on permanently! So there is usually a struggle between you and the tire and the machine goin' on... the bead breaker shoe does not penetrate the bead area and push the beads down... it keeps slipping off. The trick for solving that problem is to leave the tire partially inflated, between 1-2 PSI. Then the bead breaker hugs the rim and pushes the beads down. I don't like struggles, so I always take them to my local tire shop and tip one of those guys for 3 minutes of his time.

Remember the good 'ole days, when we all knew to grab the bumper jack outta the trunk of the car, to break down our flats? :-)
Loosemarbles likes this.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 AM

Location: 'Land of Grizzlies and Salmon' .... British Columbia
Liked: 660 times
Quote:
Well I will be 76 in July and have owned Scooters, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, and Side by Sides but never a quad before. My kids think I am nuts and I will kill myself, better than sitting in the retirement home waiting for lunch!!
"I was in Baghdad when you were in Dad's bag" . . . egg salad sandwiches for lunch.
Enjoy your Bear Claws . . . mine are Bear Claw EVO's. A little lighter weight (different rubber compound?)

'99 Honda Foreman 450ES
'99 Honda Foreman 450S ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Once you break the beads down you don't need any fancy tools to change ATV tires. Just lube the beads and rims up with soap and they come right off real easy with a light pry to get the bead started. Same game going back on except... I never use tools to put ATV tires on because they scar up the finish on the rims. Just coat the beads and rims with soap and push them on by hand with my knee shoved into the bead. Then use a damp rag to clean up the soap and dry out the interiors good with a hot hair dryer before inflating them.

But... some of them (or most!) break down like they was glued on permanently! So there is usually a struggle between you and the tire and the machine goin' on... the bead breaker shoe does not penetrate the bead area and push the beads down... it keeps slipping off. The trick for solving that problem is to leave the tire partially inflated, between 1-2 PSI. Then the bead breaker hugs the rim and pushes the beads down. I don't like struggles, so I always take them to my local tire shop and tip one of those guys for 3 minutes of his time.

Remember the good 'ole days, when we all knew to grab the bumper jack outta the trunk of the car, to break down our flats? :-)
I am checking with Wally World this morning but I found a guy on Craigslist selling a new, unused HF tire changer for $25, the larger one for car tires but the manual says it will work for smaller tires. If I purchase I will mount on the bed of my trailer with bolts and nuts, remove when done.

Retired in Iowa. Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R & Home Shop. 2006 Rancher

Last edited by wmgeorge; 05-01-2019 at 07:06 AM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Liked: 11 times
So our Wally World does not mount ATV tires and I am buying the HF one from the guy on CL. I have some 2" heavy square tubing and I I going to weld up a hitch mounted holder for the tire changer base. Yes I will need to extend out from my truck a ways and use a support under the far end.

Retired in Iowa. Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R & Home Shop. 2006 Rancher
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Liked: 259 times
Garage
Quote:
Is the Harbor Freight Mini tire changer any good? With my 20% coupon its around $38 ? If I canít find someone to do it in town?
I've changed dozens of ATV tires with mine. And have never bothered to mount it on anything. It would make it easier, but not that big of a deal, atleast for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
wmgeorge likes this.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode