Torn between 2 Tires - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:56 PM

Liked: 1897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
I used to do the HVAC service at the local Firestone plant not far from here. Rubber comes in from wherever and its not black!! They add the black and run through a lot of processing before it gets sent down to where they made the tires.

I think the OEM tires are no longer made so that is when I found those Wanda branded ones. Turns out they and Kenda and the ITP ones are made either in China, Taiwan or Vietnam. The Wanda is closest to the OEM Bridgestone, that I could find. Weights on all are pretty close within 2 lbs anyway.
yes but still all rubber is NOT the same make up, its chemically made, and mixtures are NOT all the same for every rubber in a tire

I worked for 20+ yrs in a multi billion dollar a yr company and we had rubber squeegee's for some machines that had over 150 different rubber make ups, differences were very VERY slight, to do the exact same job, and all them differences would add up to some lasting longer than others, some being Harder( rubber durometer scale reading) or softer and , it totally changed the way the machine would work!
the exact same thing is with tires, rubber on "X" brand and model tire, maybe different to tire"Z" even from the same company!
its why there are snow tires(softer rubber) longer mileage tires, stiffer side walls, different compounds grab different things differently and wear differently, flex differently and so on!
your time doing HAVC work at firestone, didn;t scratch the surface of what a is going in in there mixtures for there tires, and I BET , many of there mixtures are patented too!, meaning other company's cannot use the same mixture without there permission and vice versa!

OEM ATV makers tend to use the cheapest junk they can get ina tire and they also tend to use the SOFTEST tire they can, to get a smoother ride out of there atv's
SPORT atv's being the exception and maybe specifically made MUD machines that come with better tires from the get go

but basic atv's tend to get JUNK stock tires, and one of the very first things buyers get rid of!

if you do NOT trail ride much, and sty on your home lands, stock tires are all many need
but those that venture far and wide, soon realize how weak stock tires are and want out of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 AM

Liked: 2010 times
Garage
With tires it seems you canít have it all, usually the super light tires I see end up being fast wearing and less puncture resistant than heavier tires of similar tread. For example, Mud Bugs and Zillas. The zillas are lighter, but softer, and wear faster than the Mud Bugs. Both are made by the same company (Maxxis) and have similar lug height and are both kind of an AT tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wheeler and mrbb like this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Liked: 10 times
I ended up ordering the Kenda Bear Claws and they should be here tomorrow. The only way to make tires lighter is to use less of something and you can't make rubber lighter by adding chemicals. The lightweight tires are made in a different way, stronger with less materials. I don't need lighter, the difference between these and the lighter ones was 2 or 3 pounds each and they were at least $5 more each.

Retired in Iowa. Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R & Home Shop. 2006 Rancher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
I ended up ordering the Kenda Bear Claws and they should be here tomorrow. The only way to make tires lighter is to use less of something and you can't make rubber lighter by adding chemicals. The lightweight tires are made in a different way, stronger with less materials. I don't need lighter, the difference between these and the lighter ones was 2 or 3 pounds each and they were at least $5 more each.
its NOT just the chemicals compound of the rubber that makes a tire lighter than another, its the BUILD of the tire
and all parts in it
there is a a DIFFERENCE in both weight and durability , based on the compounds of the rubber and the other parts in with it that MAKE the tire!
ALL rubber is NOT the same PERIOD
some ATV tires weight a LOT more than 3-5 lbs between models too, there NOT all this close in weight if you look at a lot of types of SAME sided tires!
tread pattern also contributes to weight of the tires, not just size of tire too!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

The lightweight tires are made in a different way, stronger with less materials.

Did you read this ^^ what I posted? You can not change the specific weight of rubber by adding chemicals. I am old enough to be your grandfather and have been buying tires for MC's, Cars and Trucks all my life. I am well aware of the difference in compounds and difference in tire construction.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Liked: 2010 times
Garage
All Iím saying is that lighter tires almost always have softer rubber and puncture easier, thinner carcass maybe, there are plenty of heavy tires too with soft compounds I just used the zilla and mud bug as an example.

I doubt youíre old enough to be Stanís grandfather but Iíve been wrong before lol

Macarena Man and wmgeorge like this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
All Iím saying is that lighter tires almost always have softer rubber and puncture easier, thinner carcass maybe, there are plenty of heavy tires too with soft compounds I just used the zilla and mud bug as an example.

I doubt youíre old enough to be Stanís grandfather but Iíve been wrong before lol

Well I will be 76 in July and have owned Scooters, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, and Side by Sides but never a quad before. My kids think I am nuts and I will kill myself, better than sitting in the retirement home waiting for lunch!!
wheeler and Nanook12 like this.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM

no your not old enough to be my grand father LOL
and I too have been buying tires all my life, on like things, add in some tractors and other construction equipment, plus a lot of yrs racing things on tires too( racing on water and snow as well )
and YES there are things they can add to rubber to make it lighter
hate to bust your bubble, but this is a FACT
you can add chemicals and other things to change the weight of rubber as well as other things, to make size of items LIGHTER!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
boy.and here I thought winch threads got bad ?..lol. this is the #1 reason I try my best ( notice I said try ? )...to stay out of tire threads..way to many thoughts on which tire is best, so forth, so on. from now on, if a member ask what a good tire is ?, then just say what you run on your atv, why you like them, and leave it at that !. there is no reason what so ever to argue over what tire is better than the other, soooooooooo..with that said, from now on, if a tire, winch, whatever thread starts to head down hill ?, I will close it fast, please try to keep it nice, thank you :-).
wheeler, mrbb and wmgeorge like this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Is the Harbor Freight Mini tire changer any good? With my 20% coupon its around $38 ? If I canít find someone to do it in town?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode