27” on a 2018 Rubicon - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:16 PM

Liked: 2077 times
the angle of the axles shouldn't change with adding taller tires, but the added weight and traction they can give, can add more stress to them axles and thus wear on them more than stock tires will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRider View Post
I'm already getting a grinding from my rear end running 26's when braking
if your getting a grinding noise while braking, odds are its something in your brake system,
larger tires might weight moire and take more brake power to slow and stop, but shouldn;t have anything to do with grinding noises!
maybe a wheel bearing is going out on you, or a rear axle splines wearing and slipping as you stop, but odds are that doesn't have much if anything to do with the slight 1 inch taller tires your running!
if this is a solid rear axle atv, the left rear wheel bearing is a known weak spot, they fail, let water into axle and that quickly rusts/weakens the splines on the axle, which can make a grinding noise\ jack atv up off the ground and check rear wheel bearings for play! would be my suggestion here, and if good, take brakes apart and see what is grinding in them!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Quote:
if your getting a grinding noise while braking, odds are its something in your brake system,
larger tires might weight moire and take more brake power to slow and stop, but shouldn;t have anything to do with grinding noises!
maybe a wheel bearing is going out on you, or a rear axle splines wearing and slipping as you stop, but odds are that doesn't have much if anything to do with the slight 1 inch taller tires your running!
if this is a solid rear axle atv, the left rear wheel bearing is a known weak spot, they fail, let water into axle and that quickly rusts/weakens the splines on the axle, which can make a grinding noise\ jack atv up off the ground and check rear wheel bearings for play! would be my suggestion here, and if good, take brakes apart and see what is grinding in them!
I would agree. The bike comes stock with 25” tires. Bumping up to 26” tires only nets 1/2” in height, hardly enough to eat a CV on one of these. Lifts or tires larger than about 2” over stock diameter is another story. I wouldn’t run anything larger than 2” over stock anyway...that’s just me. Others have done it with nary an issue, but I wouldn’t.

Tires break axles from added traction and grabbing. If you bounce around too much in the mud and start getting wheel hop when you are spinning, you better get off it real quick and put it in 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvetus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Quote:
I would agree. The bike comes stock with 25” tires. Bumping up to 26” tires only nets 1/2” in height, hardly enough to eat a CV on one of these. Lifts or tires larger than about 2” over stock diameter is another story. I wouldn’t run anything larger than 2” over stock anyway...that’s just me. Others have done it with nary an issue, but I wouldn’t.

Tires break axles from added traction and grabbing. If you bounce around too much in the mud and start getting wheel hop when you are spinning, you better get off it real quick and put it in 4x4.
HAHA< seen a lot of things break over the yrs from folks wheel hopping a vehicle, even in 4x4 and then suddenly get a little traction and you find your weak link/s real fast LOL

like they say too though HOW you use, or abuse something , has a LOT to do with how well or long something lasts
some folks run tall tires and do better than others, but most I think use there brain more than thumb toi get the longer life
but then again, many that dabble in the big tire world, DON"T seem to care about braking things, they call it FUN< and just the price that has to be paid some times to have it!
I think we are all guilty of this mind set at some point in our life, I know I was, so I don't throw stones at those that still enjoy testing the limits
only go around once, enjoy what you like as long as you can afford to! or just can!
or till one day you get smarter and don't want to waste $$ anymore LOL
Arvetus likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 454 times
I love those tires. I think it looks great. You'll love the trail traction they provide! I found mine wore fairly fast on hard pack though...

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode