Led upgrade recommendations - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
Visual & Body Modifications Post any visual modifications you have done to your ATV vehicle here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 59 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Looks good Orvis.

I've put floods in the grill, with a lightbar on the front rack for long range.

Wire the floods in the grill to the tail light hot wire, so they're on anytime the headlight switch is in the on position, regardless of hi/low beam switch position.

Then wire the light bar on the rack to the high beam wires. So with lights on in low, flood pods are on. With lights on in high, both flood pods and light bar are on.

I'm blind as a bat. I like lots of lights so I can see where I'm going.
That is a really good idea!

One question. If i do decide to (later) put a light bar on the front, how do i wire it to the rear tail light?
I was under the impression the tail light is only 5w max output. How can i wire a 50W light bar to the 5W tail light without blowing the fuses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update.

So the cheap led bulbs i bought to replace indicator and rear light fit and work.

Haven't gotten. Green ones in yet, so the neutral light is stock, and reverse is led.

Camera struggled with glare. IRL, the led is about 2.5x brighter than stock at about 1/2 the wattage of a stock bulb.
Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
_Wilson_ likes this.

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"

Last edited by Orvis25; 09-03-2018 at 12:17 AM.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, as promised, here is a photo of my retrofit 18w led floodlight headlights at late dusk.

Much better than stock.

_Wilson_ likes this.

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:59 AM

Liked: 1891 times
Garage
Looks like the upgrade worked good! You'll get used to those bright led dash indicaters, there agrivating at 1st lol.....

1986 fourtrax trx350, 97 300 fwd.
Fully customizing a 1999 fourtrax 300 fwd.
<<<< Garages.
Oct 15th, Dale Earnhardt jr. Day

Wilson™ aka Termite
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Liked: 3320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis25 View Post
Quote:
Looks good Orvis.

Wire the floods in the grill to the tail light hot wire, so they're on anytime the headlight switch is in the on position, regardless of hi/low beam switch position.

Then wire the light bar on the rack to the high beam wires. So with lights on in low, flood pods are on. With lights on in high, both flood pods and light bar are on.

One question. If i do decide to (later) put a light bar on the front, how do i wire it to the rear tail light?
I was under the impression the tail light is only 5w max output. How can i wire a 50W light bar to the 5W tail light without blowing the fuses?
Use a relay. It basically is a giant switch that takes the load off of your electrical system.

You use the tail light wire as the trigger wire for the relay. The actual power goes from battery to relay, and then from relay to lightbar. When the signal wire (tail light) gets 12V, the relay activates and sends power straight from battery to lightbar.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks good Orvis.

Use a relay. It basically is a giant switch that takes the load off of your electrical system.

You use the tail light wire as the trigger wire for the relay. The actual power goes from battery to relay, and then from relay to lightbar. When the signal wire (tail light) gets 12V, the relay activates and sends power straight from battery to lightbar.
Thanks for the explanation.

Wouldn't a 50w light bar + 5w tail light + 36w front lights overload the atv's charging capacity?

Because i do tend to plow at night on my old atv.

So wouldent having all those lights on (91w total) + running a winch drain the battery or put too much strain on the alternator?

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:08 AM

LED's draw MUCH less power than your factory headlights. You can't really go by W, you need to look at the Amp draw. Most of the cheap LED light bar ratings are BS anyway.

For example, this one only put out 84W for one person, drawing 6.9 amps, but it's advertised as 120W. I have one like this on the front of a 350 Rancher. Puts out plenty of light, and I've never had problems with it running down the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, a 50W light bar wouldn't draw much at all.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the lights for normal use. For plowing you'll likely run into issues from running the winch. They draw a LOT of power.

You might rig up a 2nd battery in a battery box to use when plowing. Strap it to the rear rack.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

Last edited by Jeepwm69; 09-04-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What is the total output charging capacity of the stater in a 1944 trx300FW in watts/amps?

Curious for future changes just how far I can push lighting (or other accessories) before I am draining more than I am charging under normal driving conditions (not all out).

Cheers jeepwm69. Lots of good info.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What is the total output charging capacity of the stater in a 1944 trx300FW in watts/amps?

LOL, back then they were still using 6 volt systems and generators.

Looks like .22/KW at 5000 RPM's from the FSM.

From a calculator of KW to amps I found with a google search that's about 18.33 amps

My Foreman 500 shows .326/KW at 5000 RPM's, for comparison's sake.

@retro can probably better explain electrical stuff. I know just enough to be wrong and shock myself often.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Visual & Body Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode