1986 125cc key code location? - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By emetzer67
  • 1 Post By fishfiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
1986 125cc key code location?

I need a little help! I bought a 125 fourtrax 1986 from a friend who has had it garaged for > 10 yrs. He can't find the key. I have an adly 40 or 80 (little, my 5 yr old rides it) the key works for the honda, but there is no key code on an adly key for copy. I had a copy made at locksmith and IT works in adly, but not honda. The locksmith told me to check on inside of fuel tank lid for a stamped code for the honda key, but I don't see one. Any other suggestions of where to look? If I were to sell the Honda, I don't want to give my Adly key away with it. I only paid $225 for yhe Honda, so I don't want to spend a lot for a new ignition as my local dealer suggested. Help, anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Quick note for anyone who may be in the same boat as I was, I managed to easily "pop" the ignition out with a screwdriver and find the key code on the side. A 3 digit code that I gave my locksmith. He is going to run it against all his "masters" and see if he can cut me one. Thanks again to anyone who gave my problem some thought.
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Liked: 26 times
Let us know how the locksmith makes out. I have a different problem being only one factory key and have been wanting to get a spare. My local Honda dealer couldn't help because they didn't have any blanks from 1986 but if your locksmith cuts one that works then I'll try that too.

deepquagg

Present Riders:
- 2002 King Quad 300 4x4, Warn winch & plow
- 1997 Fourtrax TRX300 4x4, Bighorn 2's & A'ME heated grips
- 1994 Fourtrax TRX300 2x4, 300ex shocks, Warn winch, CC plow, Bighorn 2's & A'ME heated grips
- 1986 Fourtrax TRX125

S'Old Flames:
- 1988 Fourtrax TRX300, still lives at the farm
- 1986 Moto 4 225
- 1984 XL80
- and for what it's worth..a pair of 2004 Honda Aquatrax R-12x's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 345 times
My locksmith took my key code and pulled some numbers off of a card that came from his key cutting machine and cut me a key.

However, the key did not work the first time. He had to use a file to deepen the cuts in the key but it worked well after that.

All told, this was about a $25 key to get made.

Rick

2006 Green Honda Foreman 500 - Viper Elite Winch
2004 Yellow Honda 250ex - Grandson's Bike
1971 School Bus Yellow "Spaghetti" Harley-D Sprint 350
1972 Candy Yellow Honda CL100 K2
1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
1973 Mighty Green Honda ST90 K0
1974 Mars Orange Honda CT90 K5
1975 Topaz Orange Honda ST90 K2
1976 Shiny Orange Honda CT90
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7025 times
Garage
when I first got into atvs the dealer could take the key code and cut a key from the code with a tool , looks like pliers , that punched out the grooves , they won't don't that any more around here -------- when I bought a XL250 and they could not find the key , I went to the local locksmith with the ignition off the bike , he took a blank , applied ink or what ever it was that he used which was blue , put the blank in the ignition and turned it , took it out and files it by hand , did that about three times and the key was made , took about 5 minutes , charged $10 to do the first key and $5 for the second one ---- but you need a real old school locksmith to do that
Jeepwm69 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode