2000 Honda Foreman 450 ES Smoke Bomb!
Hello, and thank you for visiting my nightmare. I have a 2000 Honda 450 ES that I have never had any issues with. It is loaded with heated grips, winch, etc. Everything was working great until I went to get it out of the garage the other day, turned the wheel sharp right and everything went black. I thought I found the issue in the 30 amp fuse under the seat (it was blown), replaced it and it fired right up. Drove it for about 10 minutes and it died, drained the battery and was dead. I bought a new battery, and it fired right up, ran for about 10 minutes and died, battery was completely dead. I charged the battery and ordered a new OEM Stator and Regulator. I put the new, fully charged battery in and drove it back to my garage which was maybe 3-4 minutes.
When I got to the garage the regulator was blowing smoke out of the top of it like a freight train and was so hot, it softened/slightly melted the connector on the harness. The entire top of the regulator melted off. I broke everything down, replaced the stator and the new regulator. Lined up the shift drum and the shift position sensor and bolted everything back up. I turned on the key and shifted with the shift motor up and down. I got Reverse w/light, I got Neutral, no light, I got 1st and 5th. Back down I get nothing for 4th, 3rd, and 2nd. I get 1st, Neutral, no light and I get Reverse w/light. It will crank over like a new one in Neutral, but without the light I have no spark. Also confirmed no spark with the plug out and grounded. I tried to ground the green wire with red stripe and get no Neutral light. I can ground the pins in the shift sensor and the display will give me Reverse w/Light, Neutral with no light, 1st and 5th. I had a good change shift computer and hooked it up with not changes from above.
This bike is used as a mail getter and does not ever see anything other than rain or flying snow. It has never been through standing water or submerged. It has definitely been a garage queen.
Did I mention how much I hate electrical problems? I have looked at everything and I cannot find any bad connections, all fuses are good. I have always kept my grounds and connectors clean and greased. If my neutral light went bad, would it still start? or does the light have to carry the current? The neutral light was working fine before this incident. Thanks in advance for all your help. Always look forward to reading the wisdom and experience of others.