Trx300FW Oil & Filter advice - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 57 times
Garage
Trx300FW Oil & Filter advice

Hey guys.

Two Quick questions

1)
I bought a filter today locally, Fram CH6015, and it was $8 + tax

What filters do you use that are reasonable and whats your thoughts on just using these china filters just to have one?

Normal, i would never consider using cheap filters (like in cars), but I am curious if on ATV's its "OK" due to much more simplicity of engines.
Heck, my old TRX200SX did not even have an oil filter just the in engine screen, is buying a "premium brand name" filter worth it?

Example: 12 filters for $16
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323423108654
Supposed (air quotes on that) to filter to 10 microns.

Thoughts?

2)
Do TRX300FW ATV's burn oil or have a leaking issue?

I changed my filter/oil today, Full synthetic 10w-40 for first time in 4 years (long time, but moderately low use, + i use full synth) and noticed I has some oil on the bottom of the engine on the back side. I checked the oil level before changing it, and i was at the bottom of the stick.
Do you think its a leak, and if so, any common places they leak from?

In all honesty, I believe she still has the OEM gaskets, IDK if they disintegrate over time naturally, maybe its leaking through there?

The only other thing i could think of is that the full synthetic is to "thin" for the engine gaskets/drain bolt and its leaking extremely slowly.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always!

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"

Last edited by Orvis25; 08-07-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 485 times
Don't let Shadetree see you say you're using china filters! He'll loose his mind...

I personally only use Honda Filters & Oil.. Always have in all my machines. As fas as a 300 leaking? Of course they can, depends on a lot here. Every machine is different. Yes they can burn oil if your rings are gone, valve stem seals, ect... If your motor has never been apart anything is possible...
shadetree and _Wilson_ like this.

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4383 times
Garage
china filters ??????????..HOW DARE YOU IN A HONDA !..LOL. I use nothing but oil filters from honda, my local dealership sells them for about 6 or 7 bucks, worth it to me !. find the source of the leak.
_Wilson_ likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Don't let Shadetree see you say you're using china filters! He'll loose his mind...

I personally only use Honda Filters & Oil.. Always have in all my machines. As fas as a 300 leaking? Of course they can, depends on a lot here. Every machine is different. Yes they can burn oil if your rings are gone, valve stem seals, ect... If your motor has never been apart anything is possible...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
china filters ??????????..HOW DARE YOU IN A HONDA !..LOL. I use nothing but oil filters from honda, my local dealership sells them for about 6 or 7 bucks, worth it to me !. find the source of the leak.
HEHE :P Guess i set Shadetree off with that one.

Do you use conventional or synthetic oil? The manual does not say which to use, so i used synthetic the last 2 oil changes.
I am still going to try to locate that leak, but do you in part think it is due to synthetic oil being "thinner" than conventional that is in part the problem, or jsut wear and tear on the piston rings allowing by-pass so its burning up slowly?

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Liked: 3304 times
Yall are doing it wrong.

Go to rockauto.com, order Wix 24944. $4.70 each at the moment, and Wix makes a very high quality filter.

Shipping will eat your up on Rockauto, so I order 6-8-10 at a time to get as many as I can on the flat shipping fee.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Any thought on the Hiflo Premium Oil Filter HF113 ?

I can find them for $3 ea with $7 flat rate shipping.

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Liked: 3304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis25 View Post

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=944663

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2268731

Seem to have a good rep with the oil nerds on BITOG. Where are you finding them for $3?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Quote:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=944663

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2268731

Seem to have a good rep with the oil nerds on BITOG. Where are you finding them for $3?
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ilter-p?v=1797

bought 12 for $45.44 after shipping and tax (1/4 the cost).
Should last me quite a while

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
HEHE :P Guess i set Shadetree off with that one.

Do you use conventional or synthetic oil? The manual does not say which to use, so i used synthetic the last 2 oil changes.
I am still going to try to locate that leak, but do you in part think it is due to synthetic oil being "thinner" than conventional that is in part the problem, or jsut wear and tear on the piston rings allowing by-pass so its burning up slowly?
full synthetic , castrol 10w-40 or 10w-30, wet clutch approved only !.
wheeler likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Yall are doing it wrong.

Go to rockauto.com, order Wix 24944. $4.70 each at the moment, and Wix makes a very high quality filter.

Shipping will eat your up on Rockauto, so I order 6-8-10 at a time to get as many as I can on the flat shipping fee.
nope, not doing it wrong, it does not cost me shipping to stop by my honda dealership..lol. I dont do a ton of oil changes, so no need in buying more than 1 filter..right ?..lol.
wheeler likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in