Houston, we have a problem... - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By HighPlainsMoto
  • 1 Post By misterclean59
  • 2 Post By ATC4ever
  • 1 Post By HighPlainsMoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
Unhappy Houston, we have a problem...

Hey all. I am new to register here, but been checking in now and then... I have something I am totally stumped by.

I am a mechanic, and have a small shop in NW Kansas.

I have a customer 2011 Rincon 680... it will die on me about every couple days when test riding it. I've replaced the fuel pump, the valves were adjusted, the spark cap was replaced, cleaned the injector, cleaned the IACV, I have tested all the sensors, etc, by the book. No Codes on the FI... there is one thing I noticed though. The fuel gauge is bad, it almost always flashes, but on occasion it reads solid, actual correct fuel level - then the engine will stop/die, it only dies when the gauge is working correctly. If I turn the key off and on a couple times so the gauge starts flashing again... it will then re-start and run fine until the next time I run it and the gauge starts working again....then dies... rinse, repeat...... WHAT THE HELL??

Thanks in advance

Kale

Kale
High Plains Moto
Saint Francis, KS
www.highplainsmoto.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Liked: 286 times
Did you use all honda parts when fixing it? Or were these amazon or ebay parts?

2017 Rubicon TRX500FM6
2500 lb KFI winch and KFI mount
VIP Flare windshield with mirrors
26" Maxxis Bighorns
72W 9" LED light bar
Heated handlebars and thumb warmer
K&N Oil filter
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:21 AM

Liked: 514 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsMoto View Post
Hey all. I am new to register here, but been checking in now and then... I have something I am totally stumped by.

I am a mechanic, and have a small shop in NW Kansas.

I have a customer 2011 Rincon 680... it will die on me about every couple days when test riding it. I've replaced the fuel pump, the valves were adjusted, the spark cap was replaced, cleaned the injector, cleaned the IACV, I have tested all the sensors, etc, by the book. No Codes on the FI... there is one thing I noticed though. The fuel gauge is bad, it almost always flashes, but on occasion it reads solid, actual correct fuel level - then the engine will stop/die, it only dies when the gauge is working correctly. If I turn the key off and on a couple times so the gauge starts flashing again... it will then re-start and run fine until the next time I run it and the gauge starts working again....then dies... rinse, repeat...... WHAT THE HELL??

Thanks in advanceKale

You're right, the fuel gauge is bad, but why?? Bad, to me, is it simply doesn't work. What you're describing sounds like the gauge is bad because of a wiring issue. I know you said you checked the sensors but are you sure there's not a open or short circuit between the fuel pump and meter. With the problem being sporadic it makes me think of a short. Other possibility is the float sticking in the fuel pump. As @TBRider asked, is the new fuel pump OEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

ya its all OEM... this problem existed before I did all these changes and checks too.. ya it sounds like a very intermittent short somewhere, I think I just need to remove all the plastics, etc. and go thru the entire harness I just wish it would happen more often so I could trace it down better LOL..... it resets by just turning it off and on again... I'm also thinking maybe just replacing the ECU...hmmmm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
did you buy all parts from honda ?. or ebay or amazon ?. if not from honda ?..then i'd bet its a cheap knock-off parts !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Liked: 223 times
Garage
Just out of curiosity, how hot is the machine when it does it?

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

It doesn't seem to matter much with heat... I can run it all day, 100 degree temps... runs great... might die, might not... although last time it died, which was last night... it was about 80... this morning I've tested a few more times, won't die yet..

I plan on replacing the engine stop relay next,
misterclean59 likes this.

Kale
High Plains Moto
Saint Francis, KS
www.highplainsmoto.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Liked: 634 times
I have a small engine repair shop......in business 36 years. I'd run it until it quit.......then quickly check for spark and/or squirt fuel to it and see if it's spark or fuel loss. ps, I'm in Houston LOL Well just north a little bit
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Liked: 223 times
Garage
Maybe try it over rough surfaces as well as smooth, see if it cuts out on the rough stuff. Then its likely a connection or wire.
misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Well it finally died on me this morning, I noticed something this time I didn't before.. might not be it but anyway when the engine finally died I heard the starter motor spin up, prior to that, it would Idle much lower than normal. I wonder if the starter clutch is bad and intermittently creates a lot of drag on the engine, then at idle its enough to kill it sometimes... hmmmm
ATC4ever likes this.

Kale
High Plains Moto
Saint Francis, KS
www.highplainsmoto.com

Last edited by HighPlainsMoto; 08-14-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode