1991 honda trx300 fourtrax 4x4 rebuild - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
1991 honda trx300 fourtrax 4x4 rebuild

Long time lurker, first or second time poster.

I have a blue 91 4x4 trx300 that I use to hunt and do some trail riding. Recently my wife and I had twins so I figured I would be down for awhile. It's been needing a top end rebuild for awhile so i dug into it. Shipped the cylinder off to g&h and should be getting it back any day now.

I recently enough, redid the brakes. Just reran all vent tubes and will be changing all fluids when the motor is back together.

Bottom end seems tight in the motor. No real play.

So my question is, with the bike all apart as is, is there anything else I should be do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7059 times
Garage
Blue 1st gen , love'em ! redo your head while it is apart = new valve stem seals and lap the valves , how far you go is up to you and what you might need , timing chain and sprocket might be in your stars ----- G+H will have the valve stem seals in the gasket kit , I have had nothing but good from G+H , it is what they do and you can't bet the price ---- a picture is worth a thousand words , lets see that Blue 91 300
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
Here it is at a friend's ranch. I really wish it had a brake light. That's my only complaint. It's been really good to me.

What are yall using for exhaust gaskets? Cooper crush sleeve? Or does something come with the g&h kit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_184415_146_1564763538061.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	138800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_110747_1564763578813.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	138802  
wheeler, fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Wow , nice scenery and the atv looks good too , winch , led bar on the bars -
G+H will send you a crush washer for the exhaust --- sounds like you thinking ahead for your upper job , get some HondaBond or YamaBond for the rocker box cause there is no gasket there

you can rig up a brake light , some models sold in Maine came with brake lights , you can buy the parts from Honda any more but you could make something on the foot pedal , you can swop out the hand brake lever to one that has a brake switch in it
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
You can add a brake light, one of two ways, i did mine with a brake banjo switch, so.... My light only works with the front brakes, (cause, i almost never use my back brakes) the other way.... You'll need to ether build a wire harness, or try and locate one (extremely rare) plus the hardware (micro switches ect) i went with a single ported yooper banjo switch, because the yooper brand doesn't require much fluid pressure to work.

I think a brake light is a great idea! Mines saved me a few times hauling (on the road) firewood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	138810  
fishfiles and Goober like this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Wilson, that is a nice Banjo switch , I never seen one before today ----being my front and rear are connected together and I have Banjo fittings at the rear of the bike , that would be a good mod for me ---- Did you modify the bulb holder to accept a double element bulb so you have running lights and brake lights ??? If so how did you pull that off ????
Goober and _Wilson_ like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Fish Quote " you can buy the parts from Honda any more " Quote ------- I meant to say 'Can't " , I do that all the time with words that have not or n't behind them
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
rear are connected together and I have Banjo fittings at the rear of the bike , that would be a good mod for me
That will work great!

Are you talking about the one jeep modded up ? 3 wedge (one tail, n two bulbs wired for brakes) bulbs in the tail light housing ?? I might try and pull that off (time permitting) but i lucked up on a hondaline brake light kit (minus the top bracket im still looking) this is an old pic, and, i believe Stanley is the brand.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	12
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	138814  
fishfiles likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Ok , so you have the separate light for a brake ------------- I was thinking about using the stock tail light with a different bulb holder , is that what Jeep done ----- How did I mess Your's and Jeep's mods on the brake light ? Maybe that was one of the times my computer went down . How's about a like and a half for that one and maybe we are even now on the likes !!

My rear foot brake master has a double micro switch ( Gold Wing 1000 ) that mounts on the cylinder , never did get into that mod yet , lots of ideas , not enough time
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
Ya, that's what jeep did.... I looked for that thread, no luck, but here's the pic i stuck in there. And ya! I hear YOU on time limits.

Haha no 1/2 like this time. Ya, all square.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	16
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	138822  
fishfiles and retro like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode