Burning Oil? 2011 Rancher 420FM - Page 6 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 11 times
Garage
Burning Oil? 2011 Rancher 420FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
As I said before, I have a 2014 that I bought used in 2018. Seller swore it had not been sunk but I suspected he was not being truthful. From the looks of your piston it looks like some sand/silt has scored it. I say that based upon pics of other pistons posted here and what the experts have said. So, as @shadetree said, you may go to all this trouble and expense only to find your new top end doesn't last very long because there's still grit and gunk in the engine. I've heard people say they change the oil 3-4 times, run diesel fuel through the engine and other things to "clean it out." I would never bet on any of that.
I'm in the same boat as you. I had the top end rebuilt and cylinder rebored. I finally made the decision not to go to the expense of having the engine split and cleaned. I decided to mount a fire extinguisher on the rear rack and take my chances. LOLLL

I put on a new air filter on a few weeks ago. I replaced it because the old one was an oem one, likely the original filter. It had a few spots where the foam and rubber was separating, dirt possibly couldíve gotten in maybe thatís what caused the scuffing, but I donít think so. I think it was because the engine was overheated. I think if dirt had gotten in the engine there would be some more damage to the cylinder head and cylinder though. Usually when you overheat an engine really bad, or in my experience and research at least, it scores/scuffs the cylinder and piston.

As for splitting the cases. I am not doing that. I rebuilt the engine top to bottom on my other atv and it ruined my summer. It would be nice if it was just taking it apart and putting it back together again, but thatís never the case. Iím willing to take the chance. If there was dirt/sand in the engine because someone had sunk it before we bought it that could cause damage, I think it would have done something to the engine in the 5 years Iíve owned it.

When we were interested in buying an atv we asked a salesman to keep an eye out for what we were looking for, they had no used stock that we were interested in at the time. The salesman called us about an atv they had just received in on a trade. They just got it that day so when we went to go look at it, they hadnít even had a chance to wash it. There was no mud on it at all, no signs cosmetically that it had been abused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Flemingo; 07-31-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:28 AM

Liked: 634 times
Yes, I don't think there is dirt in the engine either........you put 4000km on it right? It's just worn out. Perhaps it was dirt from the worn air filter, perhaps it was the overheating, perhaps it was poor maintenance from the previous owner. It really doesn't matter at this point. Just have it bored and do the valves. If done properly you may get 10,000km next time.
retro and Flemingo like this.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM

Liked: 514 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterclean59 View Post
Yes, I don't think there is dirt in the engine either........you put 4000km on it right? It's just worn out. Perhaps it was dirt from the worn air filter, perhaps it was the overheating, perhaps it was poor maintenance from the previous owner. It really doesn't matter at this point. Just have it bored and do the valves. If done properly you may get 10,000km next time.

Okay, I take back what I said. I'm guilty of malpractice as a pseudo-mechanic. Now that I know he's owned it 5 years makes a difference. @Flemingo as much as you're ridden this Rancher you would have known by now if there were problems with it initially. Of course, @misterclean59 is correct. He's the man and I value his advice and opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
and if it was ever sunk ?, he wont get many miles on it..period !. would I take that chance/risk ?..heck no !. money and time don't grow on trees where I come from :-).
misterclean59 likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:12 AM

Liked: 634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
and if it was ever sunk ?, he wont get many miles on it..period !. would I take that chance/risk ?..heck no !. money and time don't grow on trees where I come from :-).
He bought it used but put 4000 km on it. If there was dirt in the engine it would have died long ago.
Melatv, retro and Flemingo like this.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 11 times
Garage
All parts are in. The cylinder and piston were out of spec and the next size up was 0.10 over. Got the cylinder bored and honed. New gasket set with valve seals. New piston kit. New exhaust clamp for muffler to header connection. I donít have a valve spring compressor so I just got the shop that did the boring to replace the valve seals as well as lap the valves. Getting the cylinder head back tomorrow and will start re-assembly. Going to do an oil change too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melatv likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode