2001 TRX350 cam timing question - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By krusty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
2001 TRX350 cam timing question

Gang

Bought a basket case and got the engine back together. Not my first basket case in life, as they always seem like a fun puzzle.

The manual states that for 2001 to align the cam with the punch mark. For 2002 and onwards to the 350 mark on the cam gear. So that is what I did. Used a bit of ether and it backfired far too much to lead me to think that the timing is correct. Any other way to verify? There is a timing inspection cover I can look at but have no idea what it is running off on the inside.

Turns out the carb is in rough shape as well so ordered a new cheapo to tie me over while I get myself the missing parts to rebuild my carb properly.

Lots of spark and compression though!

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
You can use either of those timing marks, the one on the cam is the same as the one on the cam sprocket. Line it up with the mark on the case. The "T" mark on the flywheel must be lined up in the sight window when you line up the cam timing marks. Double check that those marks still line up after installing the chain tensioner, cause if there was a lot of slack in the chain it might be off a tooth once the tensioner is in place. Chains are cheap... hopefully you put a new OEM or D.I.D chain in there?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I was not clear. The cam marks had 3 marks on it, a punch "l" a "350" and another "number" and since it is a 2001 I used the "l" but should H have used the 350? I guess when it is TDC I should have slack in the rockers to make sure the valves are closed. The different cam punches all looked considerably off so think it would be obvious I got the right one if I check for valves closed at TDC but wisdom appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Oh OK, sorry about that... I didn't understand your question. The "350" mark on the sprocket is the correct one. Thats a bit hokey, ehh? Honda engineers are not the brightest folks... but they're fairly consistent across the last several decades. ;-)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Seems as though my car alternator is squealing like a pig so need to change that out first.....then will re-time the cam.
LedFTed and retro like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the quick wisdom. Changed it to 350 and it started right up with a tiny squirt of ether. Tomorrow my cheapo carb arrives as an interim step while i source an original for rebuilding.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

A china carb? Bad idea that.

What is wrong with the original Keihin carb?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Carb is missing things from the previous owner I found out when taking it apart for a rebuild. The plan is to use the aftermarket short term as I think I have a lead on an OEM for mine. Just want to drive around the yard for a bit while I do the proper carb.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Pls dont get me wrong as I am a huge Honda fan but my aftermarket carb fit fine and started right up without issue. Could not beat the $40 spend on it. Cold weather and longevity can always change my mind but will suffice while I search for an original. Machine seems to have lots of power. Have a small oil leak from the valve cover I think but never put a new gasket in for that until I was sure it would run again. Need to add back all of the panels and zip tie the various wires but so far is a fun project! Fingers crossed I get a few years of life out of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode