1987 Honda 350d trouble - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 8 times
1987 Honda 350d trouble

I have a 1987 Honda 350d that having some issues. It runs intermittently. When I turn the the key on i get the correct lights and if I hear the fuel pump then it gets spark and starts right up. If I turn they ignition key i get the correct lights but donít hear the fuel pump then it wonít start and there is no spark. If I take either wire off the ignition coil then the fuel pump will turn on. Any ideas? I have been playing around with it for the last 3 days and canít figure it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1411 times
Has it run well for you in the past?

At this point i can only guess at CDI, unless you have an older battery.

Do you have a service manual?

Get some contact cleaner and permatex dielectric grease. Clean and lube the CDI connectors.
misterclean59, LedFTed and retro like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
Check the stator and pulse generator connectors (located under the seat near the airbox, right side) for corrosion. Clean and dielectric grease them before you snap them back together. Then check the fuel-cut relay connectors (inside the box with the tin cover, located near the regulator/rectifier in the right-rear wheelwell) in the same manner.

The fuel-cut relay controls the fuel pump by sensing RPMs. It does not allow the fuel pump to run unless the motor is being cranked over (or running) with the ignition and kill switch both on for safety reasons. So those connectors and wiring harness' must be in good working condition. Check the fuses and fuse box as well. If it still acts up, unplug all of the ignition switch bullet connectors and clean & grease those as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

The battery must be maintained in good condition too. If its old or weak replace it.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I have inspected all of the electrical connections and they look perfect. I also put stabilant 22 electrical enhancer on all the connections Before I reconnected them. The battery is a year old and seems to be fine. It cranks the bike over with no problem. The fuel pump is aftermarket and I have a new one on order. I didnít know if it could be shorting out causing the issues since it is tied into the ignition system. Thanks for any suggestions
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstiles11 View Post
The fuel pump is aftermarket and I have a new one on order.
China knockoffs don't work on Hondas. Ya gotta put OEM Honda parts on your ATV to solve a problem.

But if you aren't getting any spark thats an entirely separate issue from the intermittent pump. Is that the case?

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Sometimes it gets spark and starts up with no problem and sometimes it wonít get spark. Very finicky thatís why Iím having so much trouble with diagnosis.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Start with verifying the fuel-cut relay functions 100% of the time as mentioned above. Do you have a copy of the service manual? Diag steps for the relay are covered in there. After that its all ignition diagnosis and most of that is easy if you have a multimeter. According to your explanation of symptoms there is no reason to suspect the CDI yet. Keep us posted if you can.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I ordered new Oem fuel cut relay
The only other parts that arenít oem on bike are ignition switch and coil and fuel pump. The ignition switch should only have 4 wires. Anybody know oem part numbers for these?
I do have a copy of service manual.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

You'll have to replace all of those other china parts with OEM Honda parts before you'll get it fixed. There is no sense in working on it anymore until you do. We can't help ya get china parts working cause we know from years of experience that china parts are non-functional garbage. Sorry for the rant, I just can't stress that point enough. Your bike won't ever run with those parts on there. In fact other expensive parts can/will get fried with those china parts plugged in!

Now lets get going on solving those china problems... you can look up part numbers here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...ax-foreman-4x4

But first make darn sure that your bike is a 1987 TRX350D and not a TRX350. The year and model must be correct because the 87 350D is a one-of-kind machine. Ignition & electrical parts from other years and models do not interchange with the 87 350D.

The coil for an 87 350D is #5 on the parts fiche:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...4/wire-harness

Fuel pump is #5 here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...-4x4/fuel-tank

The ignition switch is #4 here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...-4x4/handlebar

That Ign switch is discontinued so you'll have to scrounge for either an NOS Honda switch or a used one. Remember, aftermarket do not work, OEM Honda only. AND the OEM switch that you buy MUST match the part number exactly. Other year/model switches do not fit that bike. And most folks don't know that.

Right now you are at a very high risk for frying other components (CDI is next likely candidate to burn if it hasn't already!) on the bike due to those china parts being on there. Disconnect the battery cables immediately and don't connect them back up until every china part has been replaced with OEM parts having the correct part numbers for your year/model.

If there are any wiring harness cobbles or splices then thats suspect too. So look those harnesses over carefully. Replace if someone has "worked" on any of them.

Keep us posted... I imagine the only thing wrong with your bike is someone put china parts on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in