94 FourTrax 300 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 4 times
94 FourTrax 300

I have a 2WD 94 Honda FourTrax 300. It has been in the family for years and when my dad go his new SxS he gave the Honda to me. So a few years before he gave it to me he let a buddy borrow it for hunting. After we got it back we noticed it goes straight from neutral to reverse without having to push in the little button or pull in the break. Is there anyway to fix this or does anyone have an idea what to look at or for? Thanks for any help or guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Liked: 2 times
That happen to me when i bought my 98 and the cable was out of adj
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6305 times
Garage
Most likely , if someone never by-passed the reverse lockout , then the cable is frozen , you might free it up with some good penetrating oil or a new cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks guys I will check it out and let you know what I find.

94 Fourtrax, 4x2, 25" Maxxis tires, CRF 250 Rear shock, Custom break and tail lights, Custom cooling fan, Custom floorboards
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the cable and it seems to be tight and it is pulling the lever when the break lever is pulled in. Is there anything internally that could have broken?

94 Fourtrax, 4x2, 25" Maxxis tires, CRF 250 Rear shock, Custom break and tail lights, Custom cooling fan, Custom floorboards
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1283 times
Spoda look like this–see how far the button sticks up? Your button may be rusted in the reverse lock position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3FBEEAC-5F16-4313-83A7-6889A8DD7EB0.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	136480  

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
chances are, that buddy adjusted the lock nuts on the reverse cable holder so he would not have to pull the brake lever, and push the red button down all the time ?!.
Goober likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
and if he did do that ^^^^ ?, you should tell his butt to put it back like it was !!!!..lol.
Goober likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

So this weekend I had some time and I checked out the lock nut on the cable holder. The cable seemed good with a little bit of play. When the reverse button is pressed and the break is pulled the little lever below the kick start pulls up and moves freely. Regardless of the position of that lever the bike will always shift in to reverse from neutral. I tried looking in the repair manual to see if I could located what that lever is doing inside the case but I was unable to locate it. At this point I'm about ready to just live with it. However its about the last thing I have not gotten working properly on this quad since I tore it all down to rebuild so that's kind of bugging me.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kimbrell03 View Post
So this weekend I had some time and I checked out the lock nut on the cable holder. The cable seemed good with a little bit of play. When the reverse button is pressed and the break is pulled the little lever below the kick start pulls up and moves freely. Regardless of the position of that lever the bike will always shift in to reverse from neutral. I tried looking in the repair manual to see if I could located what that lever is doing inside the case but I was unable to locate it. At this point I'm about ready to just live with it. However its about the last thing I have not gotten working properly on this quad since I tore it all down to rebuild so that's kind of bugging me.
Check your reverse lockout cam on your left lever. Is it opening and closing? If you can press that button I showed you–it’s supposed to lock the cam so it opens when you pull the lever. If it’s moving without your pushing the button it may be locked open. Post a picture of it and view this video

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...m5YvAyh6e3npuH

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Last edited by Goober; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode