Please help!! Rincon grinds in reverse - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
Please help!! Rincon grinds in reverse

Hello, I have a 2007 Honda Rincon 680. It just had itís 4,000th mile put on it. The machine is in great shape and everything about it is great, I love it, but itís got a pretty aggressive down shift to it. So as I was just riding down the road, I wanted to just simply coast to my driveway instead of being jerked with the automaticís down shift. So I went to put it into neutral while going about 40ish mph and accidentally slipped it into reverse and it started grinding of course. Since then, it grinds in reverse every single time. I have to slam it into reverse from drive and even that doesnít work sometimes. Iím sure one of the gears teeth just got worn down pretty bad inside and Iím pretty mechanically inclined but Iíve never messed with any sort of gears or guts in the engine like that. So my first question is what gear would I look at and then where exactly itís located. After alittle research I found that thereís a ďreverseĒ gear in the back of the motor to where Iíd have to remove the rear differential (which is no problem for me) but before I dig in, Iíd really like an opinion on if Iím guessing correctly, and if not, where to look and the best way to get it done. Early thanks for all the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3156 times
Start by getting a copy of the service manual and read and follow the direction in section 12. There might be one or more gear teeth broken off, so look for those pieces and clean the cases out good if you find heavily damaged gears in there. Readjust the shift linkage as the manual says during reassembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub-trans.png
Views:	10
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	135894  
ATC4ever and misterclean59 like this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Start by getting a copy of the service manual and read and follow the direction in section 12. There might be one or more gear teeth broken off, so look for those pieces and clean the cases out good if you find heavily damaged gears in there. Readjust the shift linkage as the manual says during reassembly.
So you’re saying it’s going to be one of the gears in the diagram you shared with me? And these are located near the rear differential correct? Behind the pull start I think? And if there’s not a ton of damage should I still adjust the shift linkage? Thank you! And I’ll get a copy of the manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Liked: 3253 times
You can pull the rear cover and replace that part. There's actually an updated part that makes shifting into reverse easier.

Problem solved===honda rincon grinding when put in gear..... | High Lifter Forums
retro likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Oh that sounds good, thanks. Where would I get the new updated part?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Part number 23641-HL1-A00. Any Honda dealer can get it for you.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/23641-HL1-A00

The thread that @Jeepwm69 linked has more info on it.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Okay. Thank you all, Iím gonna start tearing it apart this weekend and Iíll update you
Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Got it all taken apart down and none of the gears look badly worn and none of them are broken. So now what do you guys think? Was it only a linkage problem the whole time? And is there anything I should do while Iím this far in? Thanks again
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the inside. I had a gear or two out as I took this pic so that's why there may be one missing. Let me know what you think if you can see anything in the picture. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4073.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	136106  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

The gears will appear fine, its the dogs that get worn and damaged. Look inside each end of this part for rounded/chipped edges:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/23641-HL1-A00

Then replace that part.
misterclean59 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode