1993 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 - Page 7 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6693 times
Garage
there is a set of 3 smooth 300 plastic fender flares on facebook for $25 right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Liked: 3159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC. View Post
Wow, nothing from the peanut gallery, I thought sure homemade splash guards would ruffle some feathers a bit. Filling holes by previous owners and repairing cracks for free and color matched is a win, win, win in my book.

The tank should be ready by end of the week, it should be drive-able then. I hope to start wrapping it soon.

MrC.
I actually really like the splash guard idea. That plastic will hold up a lot more than the originals, although it won't be as flexible/giving.

The plastic welding will look good with a wrap on it. Nicely done IMO.
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 25 times
There you all are! Howdy,

Good question Wilson- I treated this welding like any other, I cleaned the parent material, V-ed out the gap between the two and used the same type of material to fill any voids, I would think since its all the same plastic with little to no contaminates or fillers, it would be just as strong as a non broken piece. I Live in Florida. so I have no idea if freezing would be an issue.

Fishfiles That's good to know, I do not have Facebook, but I may have a friend check on them. Thank you

Jeepwm69 I am using a small metal rod to support the bottom of the flair, just to give it some support, I do not like the big bulky Floorboards that came on this bike. They look homemade and they weigh a ton.

Honestly Last night I filled two large snorkel holes 2 inches across, I think I can do it and bring the shine back. If so, I will do a step by step , it could be handy for these older bikes.
who knows it may be good enough for a sticky.

MrC.
Goober and _Wilson_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 AM

Liked: 1776 times
Garage
No cold weather (noted) lol

ya i noticed the v-ed out (+) .... IMO i think your idea of wrapping (afterwards) will work good.... I don't think I've ever seen this much effort in repairing cracked/busted plastics ... Guys around my area have tried it, (never did put the effort in you have) they always end up with zip tie (frank n stein) stitches, or nos plastic. I'd like to see YOUR end results ..... for fine finishing ... @Goober has had real good results from Novus 3 stage polishing compound

I agree with jeeps thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	136672  
Goober likes this.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1387 times
Shadetree had good results renovating plastics i think with patching rather than welding. Holy cow how did you find the temp needed to melt the plastic without burning it?
Otherwise you might be able to coat it with Fiberglass or carbon fiber which should give it structural strength and maybe a texture which would look great camoed.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 25 times
Like I said, this is a money venture, I am down to the wire and need to save as much as I can to maintain profits. That's the "why" I have put so much effort into the plastics. PLus I just want to see if I can do it. I will give a cost break down on this build once it sells if you want me to.

I am using a 1500 degree heat gun and soldering Iron kit from Harbor Freight, I go slow and you can see the plastics move around as they become limber, I use clamps and blocks of wood to massage them into shape, keeping an eye on there color, steps are as follows
apply heat, 10-20 sec piece begins to move or loose shape
20-30 sec piece becomes shiny and this is when I place the soldering iron on the joint and remove the heat gun, the iron maintains the heat and I use a cross stitch (welding technique) to blend the two piece, once they are blended, I remove the iron and apply the heat gun again, position the piece in the shape I want it using the blocks or wood and remove the heat gun and let cool, a minute later it is cool and hardened to correct shape.
I flip the piece over and repeat, I add filler as needed ( same color plastic from another bad piece) preheating it with the gun then using the iron to blend them together.

I have not burned any of the plastic, it turns shiny and gets runny long before it burns.
MrC.
Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Liked: 3159 times
I think you should record that and post it on Youtube. Seriously. Sounds like a good technique
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Liked: 1776 times
Garage
X2 ^^^^ great idea!
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM

Liked: 6 times
Garage
Will those grills for the foot rest fit my 2001 450S fourtrax foreman?

otherwise I need the plastics for the footwells ... and probably new rear fenders as there scuffing on them are deep ... uuuugggg

Superfluity
2001 Honda 450 ForemanS Fourtrax
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6693 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
there is a set of 3 smooth 300 plastic fender flares on facebook for $25 right now
That is a deal .......
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7166018797099/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode